Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

BT Infinity 2 Incredibly Slow

Hi Everyone!

Since day 1 of installing BT Infinity 2, we have had no luck with speeds whatsoever. For instance we get a 0.50 upload! Atrocious! Anyway.. I have started to look into this more since my friend got Infinity (he lives a minute walk from me). He gets speeds from around a 40mb download and a 10 upload, when I get a 10 download and 0.50 up? The weird thing is, is that I get a better ping? Something tells me this is wrong, I have rung countless times and have had no look. Today an engineer came down my road to install internet to someone else, I even asked him myself and he said something isn't right. Personally I believe the engineer I had install Infinity for me didn't know what he was doing as I had to do all the computer work for him.. stupid right? I really want to livestream and it is impossible at 0.50 upload. Surely for the money I am paying I should get more of a 0.50 upload? Is there a way to request a engineer to come? Thats if something is wrong, becuase my friend who does live a minutes walk away gets those speeds when I struggle to even break in double figures! Reply with what information is needed and thankyou in advance!

Liam

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT Infinity 2 Incredibly Slow

Can you copy and paste line 1-13 from the HH5 troubleshooting/helpdesk page GUI?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 21

Hi, thankyou for reply.
How do I do this?

Edit:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ41942726
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 12/08/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:0 days, 01:05:20
6. Data rate:559 / 18428
7. Maximum data rate:609 / 18562
8. Noise margin:6.2 / 6.3
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 29.6
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 24.6
11. Data sent/received:24.1 MB / 501.4 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:No
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 21

Also we got told to do a channel change, we have now tried 9 and 11. Still no good.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Do you know how far you are from the Fibre cabinet. See distance to speed graph.

fttn-speed-graph.gif

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 21

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    
FTTC Range A (Clean)25.6185.13.3--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)20.510.44.30.8--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3.5--2.5 to 4.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 3.5Up to 0.52.5 to 4.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 3--2 to 4Available
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available
Fixed Rate1----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 21

And regarding that graph, what speed am i choosing? 3.5 or 4.5?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Infinity is VDSL2

If you know your distance from the cabinet it will show you more or less what speed you should be getting. It can obviously be less speed depending on the quality of your line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 21

Okay, well regarding my recent test.

My download was 17.42 so around 1200 metres. So surely I should be getting at least a faster upload?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 21

The graph is highlighting the drop off of speed the further you are from a cabinet. You are circa 1500m away.

Your acceptable download speed range is 25.6-10.4 .  You appear to be on a B Range line or at the very bottom of the A Range. As such it is very probable that nothing will be done to help you - ISPs don't care about upload speeds especially when the download is within the relevant range - even though your upload is below the bottom speed quoted.

You should not have been put on Infinity 2 as you can't even achieve the maximum for Infinity 1.

Could you run this test ,do the further diagnostics and post the results - the IP profile for the upload will be either 20Mbps for an Infinity 2 connection or  10Mbps for Infinity 1

Was typing this whilst the two previous messages were posted.

0 Ratings