cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonwackers
Contributor
Message 1 of 31

BT Infinity 2 Installation

Was due to have BT inifinity 2 package connected today, openreach engineer turned up.

Master socket is at the bottom of the stairs. Extension runs up the stairs in my room where my current router sits.

The engineer was not going to install a new faceplate downstairs, told me that he can only install the Hub 5 downstairs next to the master socket. I enquired about him doing that and then running an ethernet cable but then said that BT no longer supply openreach with the 30m of ethernet cable that can be provided. He mentioned something about he cant install any new cables and if i wanted that then BT could charge me upto £120 !!

Anyway, he tried using the extension upstairs, Hub was amber, tried the Hub downstairs, same thing. He then installed a new openreach faceplate, the same one he said he wasnt going to install. Same thing again.

He then tested the line at the fibre cabinet and found that there is a fault between my house and the cabinet, probably due to weather damge caused to the telephone pole. A D-side fault?

He has connected my old Sky llu connection and i have no idea what the engineer has done but my Sky llu speed is now at 6mb not 10mb !!

So i now have to wait for BT to check for whatever fault has been logged and in the meantime, use my old LLU connection running at 60% speed.

Not a good start at all.

Was the engineer that was sent to my house qualified??

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 31

Re: BT Infinity 2 Installation

Sounds like one of the contractors.

An Openreach engineer would've traced and fixed the problem, either fitted the data extension or changed your extension socket into the master and checked your BB speed before leaving.

Hopefully you'll get an actual Openreach engineer out on your next install date.

jonwackers
Contributor
Message 3 of 31

He didnt exactly instill me with confidence when he was talking on his mobile and asking the person on the other end if they have ever had a Hub that constantly flashed amber !!

He then did the test from the fibre cabinet and found the d-side fault.

Fingers crossed that you're right and i get an openreach engineer next time.

Thanks for the reply.

0 Ratings
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 31

It may not have been contractor. Over the past 2 years Openreach have been taking on lots of new engineers, mostly ex Army and RAF.

They are given very little training, which is of no help to them in the real world then given a van and tool bag and then they are expected to knock out 5 or 6 jobs a day!
0 Ratings
jonwackers
Contributor
Message 5 of 31

Final question, he said that after finding the d-side fault, BT would automatically come out and fix the problem and i would just have to wait until they do. Any idea how long they will be in actually turning up to fix it? Will i need to contact them myself? I was told there was no need to contact them but i am not so sure now.

0 Ratings
jonwackers
Contributor
Message 6 of 31

Asked about my failed installation via email, got the generic auto response:

" Take a look below to get help on lots of different topics.But if you don’t find what you’re looking for,do please reply to this email and we’ll do our very best to get back to you within 48hours. "

Sent this :

******-****** is the reference number.
BT Infinity 2 installation was not completed because a test run by the fitter at the cabinet found a d-side fault. Somewhere between the cabinet and my house. Most likely the telephone pole he said.
I guess he was contracted by Openreach and was not qualified to trace and fix the fault himself or didnt have the necessary training, as has been suggested on the BT forums.
Has a fault been logged on my line, as the fitter said?
Now stuck in limbo, dont know if the fault is known, when the fault will be fixed or when another installation appointment will be made.

Hope you can help, thank you.

MyBT still says this:

Your activation date There is a delay to the provision of your Broadband order which we are currently investigating with our suppliers. We will keep you informed of any progress, please keep checking online for further updates.

Fri 21st Feb in progress.

It has been 72 hours since i sent that last email.

Would like to know what is going on.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 31

You would be far better to call BT 0800 111 4567  and report that your Infinity has not been installed correctly and is not working and you would like an engineer out to investgate the problem.

0 Ratings
jonwackers
Contributor
Message 8 of 31

My BT Infinity was not installed at all, the hub could not sync to my line.

Engineer/fitter finds fault, tells me i dont need to do a thing when clearly i have to.

Horror stories of people getting the run around with the call centre in India. No thanks, i value what little sanity i have left.

Biggest sickener is that BT's 76mb offer was cheaper than Sky's 38mb option.

No installation charge and paying for 12 months line rental upfront.

Paying for line rental upfront with BT now means that having fibre with Sky is not an option.

Guess i play the waiting game.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 31

If the installer called at your house it will be classed as being installed. Be prepared for a long wait if you are dealing with this by email.

0 Ratings
jonwackers
Contributor
Message 10 of 31

" If the installer called at your house it will be classed as being installed. Be prepared for a long wait if you are dealing with this by email. "

That has to be one of the most stupid things i have heard in years.

If the installation was never completed how can it be classed as installed??

0 Ratings