Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyT557
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

BT Infinity 2 / Master Socket Query

Go to solution

Hi all,

New to the forum, through I have used the search function but unfortunately I haven't been able to find the answer.

However, apologies if this question has been asked before.

Finally managed to get Infinity 2 ordered, which is an upgrade from standard BT broadband.  Supposedly going live next Monday.

Now, my question is; why is the Master Socket no longer replaced for an Infinity 2 installation?

Reason I ask is, and I'll try and keep it short.  I had Infinity 2 in June 2014.  Engineer had to visit and the Master Socket was replaced.  My understanding was that two twisted pairs were used, one pair for the phone line and the other pair for the fibre.  If that was the case I totally understand the requirement to separate the two signals in order to achieve up to 76mbps.  Which we did actually get.

Unfortunately jusdt one month later in July 2014 we had a house fire.  Roll on 14 months later to September 2015 and I've moved back in after house was rebuilt.  Fibre wasn't available in Sep due to insufficient capacity at the box so had the standard broadband instead.  Now fibre available so getting Infinity 2 again but I'm puzzled as to why no engineer visit required and it appears to be just a simple case of swapping the HH4 for the HH5.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Infinity 2 / Master Socket Query

Go to solution

Infinity is now self install. There is only ever a single pair of wires coming from the cabinet to your house, which carries the phone and broadband.

All you need to do is swap the HH4, for the HH5, and plug it into the same place.

Do you have any extensions, if so, are the wired to the correct point on the master socket?

Are you close enough to the cabinet to get Infinity 2 speed?

0 Ratings
AndyT557
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Keith,

Thank you for the reply but it doesn't really answer my question.  Have BT managed to change something in the exchange between July 2014 and now so an engineer and a master socket change is no longer required.

I'd still like to know why the engineer wired up the Master Socket with two twisted pairs.

And yes, I am close enough to the exchange.  As I said previously, we had Infinity 2 last year and was getting 76mbps download speed. Cannot recall upload speed but I remember it being faster than the standard broadband download speed.

Regards,

Andy

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution
The process used to require an engineer visit as they needed to fit a modem and appropriate socket as BT did not have a home hub which included a fibre modem by default, so BT included an engineer visit to provide the modem and replace the socket so that service could be provisioned.

However, this is no longer needed and the normal process of using a microfilter to filter broadband and phone signals is all you need to do, as you will be supplied a HH5 which includes a built-in modem.
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

@AndyT557 wrote:

Keith,

I'd still like to know why the engineer wired up the Master Socket with two twisted pairs.

So would I. Can you post a picture of how the wires are terminated?

0 Ratings
AndyT557
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

SuperSajuuk,

Thanks for the explanation. Why didn't I think of that?  Duh!

It's obvious now.  BT do the HH4 (for conventional standard broadband) and the HH5 (for fibre).  TBH I cannot recall what modem they did last year.  Think it may have been the HH4, so hence the necessity to change the Master Socket.

Cheers,

Andy

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

I think it was more a case of in the early days of Infinity it was thought that an SSFP socket was required but in the light of experience (and I suspect a cost saving measure) it was realised a standard socket and filter was adequate.

AndyT557
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Licquorice,

If only that was possible. House has been rebuilt following the house fire and now it is just a standard BT master socket with a single output on the removable bottom plate.

I haven't needed to remove the plate. All the telephone sockets were tested by the electrician after the BT engineer installed the Master Socket.

Your additional comment regarding the SSFP now makes perfect sense.  I was slightly baffled as to how BT manage to achieve speeds up to 76mbps down just the two wires when previously it required two twisted pairs.  The HH5 plus a standard microfilter seems to do the job.

Andy

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

if your initially got fibre in July 2014 then BT were already using the hh5 for infinity connections.  if you had a hh4 you would also required a separate modem for your fibre connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@AndyT557 wrote:
Licquorice,

If only that was possible. House has been rebuilt following the house fire and now it is just a standard BT master socket with a single output on the removable bottom plate.

I haven't needed to remove the plate. All the telephone sockets were tested by the electrician after the BT installed the Master Socket.

Andy

Yes, sorry, I realised after I posted you were referring to your initial installation not the recent one. I suspect the engineer thought he would improve your line by reducing the electrical resistance by 'bunching' 2 pairs together. In actual fact it may have been detrimental rather than helpful as DC resistance is the least of your worries with VDSL.

0 Ratings