Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT Infinity 2 - Ping Spikes / Jitter - Making gaming frustrating

Go to solution

The internet used to be perfectly fine, but the last 3 months I've had on/off issues (more on than off recently) of small spikes in latency - most noticable when playing online. I'll be playing CS:GO, or PUBG, (happens with any game) and then I'll have these little teleports that messes with my aim, moving my character around a little. It could happen anywhere from 5 times a game, to maybe every couple of seconds for the whole length of the game. As you can imagine, it's extremely frustrating.

I've contacted BT before and they sent a new HomeHub which did not fix the issue.

Ping Plotter & WinMTR:

https://i.gyazo.com/165af9f215743f653ce0832cad4806dc.png

https://i.gyazo.com/e0b1614d1d9e12c440cc7ef7eb059404.png

Thanks for any help,

Elliot.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Infinity 2 - Ping Spikes / Jitter - Making gaming frustrating

Go to solution

Hi Elliot, welcome to the forums.

It might be helpful to have a bit more info:

1) Have you seen this issue with more than one device?

2) Is the connection wired or wireless?

3) Are there any logs that show info? e.g. the router's log, event log on PC, etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

1) Have you seen this issue with more than one device?

I've done a ping test on another laptop connected to ethernet, and it's displaying the same ping spikes as the main PC.

2) Is the connection wired or wireless?

It is connected via ethernet cable.

3) Are there any logs that show info? e.g. the router's log, event log on PC, etc.

Nothing evident in the logs. There's a few ICMP blocks which show up as spikes on PingPlotter - but don't manifest as a lag spike in-game. When I DO have spikes in game, the router shows no relevant message. There is continuous UPnP spam however, but I believe that's normal? 

(333832.870000) Port forwarding rule added via UPnP/TR064. Protocol: UDP, external ports: any-​>51706, internal ports: 51706, internal client: 192.168.1.66

EDIT:

Okay, I just tried disabling UPnP, and I think that's fixed it. Man Very Happy

Can't believe it was that simple - all this time. I'll need to do some investigation to find out what's using that port.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Excellent. If possible, it'd be good to mark the UPnP post as the solution to the issue and post an update if you find the source of the UPnP. WireShark will show you which machine on your network is generating the UPnP requests and from there you can probably identify the source.