Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

BT Infinity 2 Slow Speeds

Hi All,

Hope your all having an awesome sunday!

Just in the past two weeks we have been expereincing really bad speed - going from 60mbps to around 20 :S 

Shocking - Slow speed are affecting browsing gaming and streaming movies all now buffering!

I saw a BT van a few weeks ago this was after our initial install which was only 4 months ago,

Can someone please advise anything that I can do before I pick up the phone and call support ?

Thanks

: )

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Infinity 2 Slow Speeds

Can you post your line stats from the HH5 please? These are in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254

Lines 1-13 will be enough

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068343+NQ41539885
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 08/08/14
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 01:45:55
6. Data rate: 16100 / 66764
7. Maximum data rate: 15940 / 76070
8. Noise margin: 5.7 / 6.0
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 21.5
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 21.5
11. Data sent/received: 88.1 MB / 887.5 MB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

are you using a wired or wireless connection?
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

I have used wired just for the PS4 which has been okay - some lag here and there - but all other devices are wifi only -

Ipads - phones - laptops - streaming is quite bad on my nowtv and amazon tv box and netflix
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

The stats look fine. Can you try streaming over your BT Wifi connection and see if that's buffering too?

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Yeh done the streaming over wifi and its still quite bad!

I ran a hub speed test and got this back..

Download - 62.54

Upload - 13.28

Ping 27.63

What would your reccommend for the wireless channel settings ? auto or set to one channel!

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 8 of 12

• Use Ethernet connections wherever you possible can, for example, connecting devices such as set-top boxes and streaming devices, smart TVs, games consoles and PCs.  You should not use WiFi at all for fixed devices.
  • Manually select a 2.4 GHz WiFi channel that provides the best performance, choosing one of the following channels: 1, 6 or 11.
  • Use a 5 GHz WiFi router, and upgrade as many of your devices as possible to 5 GHz operation. You can upgrade old PCs and notebooks with affordable 5 GHz USB WiFi adapters.
  • Operate your 5 GHz WiFi network with a different name to your 2.4 GHz network (to prevent your devices switching to interference-ridden 2.4 GHz operation).
  • If you are using a single WiFi router, try to centralise its location in your home to provide good coverage to areas where you use WiFi devices.
  • Deploy additional WiFi access points/extenders to enhance coverage, connecting these back to your router using Ethernet cables. Use up to three devices in total (including your WiFi router), and manually set the 2.4 GHz channels to 1, 6 or 11 (without reusing the same channel)
  • Consider investing in a premium WiFi 802.11ac router incorporating 4×4 MIMO and beamforming, to extract the best performance possible, particularly if you only intend to use one WiFi device.
Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

Luckily the HH5 is a wireless-ac device - just needs the client device to support it too.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

Why is it that his downstream noise margin is 6dB when he's still got 10 meg of room ? Shouldnt he be connected at 76?
0 Ratings