When my Infinity 2 service was installed in Sep 2015 I was getting 72/73Mbs week in week out, with the expected dips during peak periods. I then started to notice it falling and eventually it settled around 43-45Mbs. When I went through the raise a broadband fault, the automated systems identified a voltage/battery leak. This was 'fixed' by swaping to a different pair of wires and after about a week, the speed increased to 52-53Mbs and stayed there.
According to the BT Availability Checker http://dslchecker.bt.com/, the figures are as follows:
VDSL Range A (Clean) 79.6 59.1
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 69.7 40
So my service has moved from the Clean range to the Impacted range. If I run through the automated broadband fault pages, It says my service is good, and doesn't give any other options, other than raising a complaint (which I guesss is the next step).
Does anyones have any advice on how to get BT/Openreach to move me back to the clean range?
I appreciate that this is a first world problem compared to the appalliing service many are getting, but I was stuck on sub 2Mbs for years, and having had the promised speed, I want to get it back.
To save time I'm not intrested in an 'answers' stating that my speed is within acceptable limits. I'm currently paying for Infinity 2 and getting Infinity 1 performance.
I don't use delivered BT Homehub 5 as the 5G WiFi performance was useless, but when I have connected it to test that it wasn't an issue with my hub, the speed is exactly the same. My Netgear equipment gives me 1.2Gbs downststairs and 760Mbs upstairs, so the wifi isn't the limiting factor. I'm plugged into the master socket, and have tried different cables and filters.
This is the connection page from the Netgear router:
Just reading through some of the other issues posted here and saw the "Fault in non-BT equipment' thread. It contains the paragraph which may well match my situation:
"As expected no fault was found and after a line reset to restore my profile to what it should be (actually slightly better) my 30% drop was corrected.
It is fairly clear that if you have FTTC and a connection to the cabinet of 1200-1400metres then the DLM is happy to reduce your line speed but reluctant (if at all) to increase it. This means your profile decreases over time and has to have a manual reset."
I'm about 350m from the cabinet, as I have about a 30% drop in performance.
I think you misunderstand the concept of 'clean' and 'impacted' lines. You don't get moved from one to another, they are just estimates of the obtainable speeds likely if your line is of those qualities. That is determined by the laws of physics and any fault conditions extant. I rather suspect your speed has deteriorated due to the effects of crosstalk as further customers have been connected to your cabinet.
OK, maybe move or moved was the wrong word. How about, I had the download speed indicating a clean line, and I now have the download speed indicating an impacted line.
As per my previous post, hopefully it is a case of the previous line fault causing the IP Profile to drop the speed, and it now needs to be reset maually.
Also the speeds shown on the BT Wholesale checker refer to connection speeds to your router not download speeds your IP profile is set by your connection speed not the other way round
Thank you for confirming that I now have a poor SNR, which I obviously wouldn't have had when I was getting 72Mbs+.
Since one wiring issue was found and corrected, which raised my connection speed by 10Mbs, hopefully they can find another couple to regain the other 20Mbs.
The main issue is going to be getting past the automated testing which says everything is working.