cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Atkin94
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BT Infinity 2 Speed/Connection Issue

Hi I placed an order for my BT Infinity Option 2 to be upgraded to BT Infinity 2 on sunday morning. This change was due to take place up to midnight on tuesday. 

With BT Infinity Option 2 I maintained d/l speeds of 37.05mbps and u/l speeds of 8.1mbps since my installation. On monday however when arriving home I randomly did a speedtest to find out my d/l speeds as well as u/l speeds had dropped to roughly 1.1mbps. I rebooted the HH3 to then get speeds of 37.05 and 8.1 respectively.

I maintained these speeds up untill tuesday aftenoon when another speedtest yeilded similar results, like before I rebooted the HH3 and the speeds returned to normal. 

Sometime tuesday night I was upgraded to BT Infinity Option 2, a speed check the following morning resulted in d/l speeds of 74mbps and u/l speeds of 15mbps. On wednesday afternoon however as had happened before the upgrade the speeds dropped to 1.1mbps, d/l/u/l respectively. I proceeded to reboot the modem and the new speeds returned again.

On thursday morning, I write this post as when performing the speedtest again the same thing happened. I proceeded to carry out BT's speedchecker instead of rebooting this time and got up untill taptest 3 and I could go no furthuer (problem changing username). The test did however show max attainable speed of 76mbps d/l and 20mbps u/l.

Can anyone tell me why the HH3 is dropping speeds after 12 or so hours? I am also worried these constant reboots will cause the DSLAM to lower my ip profile. 😞

Thanks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Infinity 2 Speed/Connection Issue

Hi Atkin94 and welcome to the forum, when you upgrade to Infinity 2 your line has to go through the 10 day stabilisation period, during this period you should not reset your modem, as your line has to stabilise.

Other users across the forum have been experiencing this issue as well, but during these 10 days B.T won't entertain you until this process has finished, any queries or issues after that, i would ring tech support 0800 111 4567.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Atkin94
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

I didn't think there was a stabalisation period for FTTC. 😮 Will my reboots have an adverse effect or will I be ok if I leave the line from now on?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 10

Yes during the stabilisation period reboots will affect your download and upload speeds.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Atkin94
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Okay so its happened again, d/l speeds of 1.1mbps and u/l speeds of 1.1mbps. Am I to just leave it like this?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 10

I would contact tech support 0800 111 4567, because it sounds like there is a fault somewhere, could be the modem and or router, or possibly an external source as well.

Eventhough you are still within the 10 day period, mention to them that you aren't even in the acceptable range for download speeds, the possibly might send out an engineer.
0 Ratings
Atkin94
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Over wireless I am getting 18mbps d/l and 15mbps u/l like before the slow down however d/l speeds are fluctuating. 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 10

The speeds may fluctuate over the 10 days, it's part of the stabilisation so DLM can find a suitable speed for your line at a stable rate.
0 Ratings
Atkin94
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I think my flucautating d/l speeds as well as the drop in both d/l and u/l speed with regard to the wired connection could be because of a faulty gigabit port on the HH3 as the regular 10/100 mbps port I have been using since this morning has produced consistand 74mbps d/l and 15mbps u/l speeds since. I will have to wait to see if it survives the speed drop which usually happens every 12 hours so I'll keep you updated.

Af far as the wireless connection I believe the fluctuating d/l speeds are due to interference from someone/something on my channel, so I may change it soon and see. As mentioned before however wireless speeds are never effected by this drop in speed every 12 or so hours so I believe my suspicions may be correct.

If I am right it is kind of strange the gigabit port only became faulty on monday and never really before then, anyway I'll try and keep you updated.

0 Ratings
Atkin94
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Okay so it appears that my incling was wrong to a degree as the speed has again dropped, roughly 12 hours later. 

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 1 Mbps

0 Mbps77.43 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-77.43 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.66 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.66Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.

If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

0 Ratings