Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevebailey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 69

BT Infinity 2 - Speed not as promised

Go to solution

Hello everyone,

Have registered to post here as every google search for my issue leads me here, and I see a LOT of people have the same problems I have.

I recently moved house and had to give up my 100mb Virgin Fibre as it was not provisioned at my new property.

So I went with SKY for TV and BT for phone and Fibre as SKY could only provide an estimates 40mb down but BT claimed 68.8 down so with BT Infinity Option 2 UPTO 76mb deal I did go.

Every since I have got a stead 38/39mb down and 15mb up - everytime, all the time. I have done a speedchecker.bt test and it says my line provision is 43mb so I dont see how I am going to get anywhere near the speed estimated by BT.

I believe I have FTTH as I have the white Openreach router converting the packets before the Home Hub and my exchange is about 1 mile away from my home so I really dont see how I am not getting the promised speeds.

I know they've said the get out 'up to' but this isn't ADSL we're talking about, this is Fibre so with my Exchnage only a mile away we're not really talking much dispersion here.

Does anyone have the best route for me to take to get this resolved, I have already spoken to a customer service centre guy, who was as helpful as he could be and clarified I am not on the orginal Infinity service or being throttled etc and that he see's my line as capable of 80mb....

Many Thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
68 REPLIES 68
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 69

Re: BT Infinity 2 - Speed not as promised

Go to solution

i think you have fttc and the speed depends on the phone wiring type and the length of it to the cabinet not the exchange

0 Ratings
stevebailey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 69

Go to solution

Thanks, I was reading that if you had the white openreach router with your Home Hob this was for FTTH? Is this not correct?

And surely the BT line test with the estimated speed would have tested the line (done with phone number as well as postcode to gain estimate)

How do I find out my local cabinet then? I thought this was the lcoa breakout point and so would be nearer than the exchange anyway??

Cheers

0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 69

Go to solution
no its just a modem and a separate router just like adsl except its vdsl2
and its fibre to the cabinet not fibre to the home
from the cabinet to your home its combined with the voice signal on the phone line
0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 69

Go to solution
to find the cabinet you have to follow the route of the phone line until you find the old green phone cabinet and the new fttc twin next to it probably 300 metres away from your house
0 Ratings
stevebailey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 69

Go to solution

Ok thanks a million Bullitt...

So any idea how best to progress this with BT, I've cable attached to the home Hub and disconnected all other attached devices, and moved it from it's location to the main BT socket in the house but still only get just shy of 40mb.

I'm not too fussed, 40mb is fine, but its less than two thirds of my promised speed, so really I feel I should only be paying two thirds of my price plan for it, seems only fair.

Thanks

0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 69

Go to solution

First up, the speed you were told at order time is an estimate only, and it's based in BT's record of the distance your line takes from the cabinet. Like all estimates, the final result can be lower or higher - it all depends on the state of the copper (or aluminium) from the cabinet to your house.
The only way BT can "promise" a speed is if you have FTTH, in which case, given that t's fibre all the way, they can guarantee the quality of the line - and it'll be concomitantly more expensive when the "on demand" service rolls out next year.

With that said, it would be useful if you could post the results you get from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ including the further tests so we can see your line's IP profile and get a better insight into what's happening.

stevebailey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 69

Go to solution

Hi hifistud,

Thanks, i understand the technicalities of the state of the final route to the house havingt an impact, what I am questioning is how I can be 'estimated' 68.8mb and only get 38/9 mb. These houses have been built for 10 years, this is BT we are talking about not mickeymouse.net company. An approximation of speed would have been 68mb or 65 or 60mb not 68.8mb and then delivering sub 40mb.

Thats like saying oh yeah i'll give you £68.80 for what you were seeling then saying ah well my wallet didnt stretch that far so hers £39 you should be happy.

I'm a little confused why so many people on here seem to defend BT, have just been reading a thread where a customer was asking how his latency had gone from 5ms with BE to 27 odd ms with BT. It was a perfectly acceptable question, highlighting that BT's network is obviously not routing as efficiently as it could or the routing is getting congested at some points, however he got shot down.

I digress, I am merely asking how best, from anyone with knowledge or the process, I should progress this with BT.

I'm not overly fussed with 40mb its fine for my needs, I'm just stating you can't pull customers in with extraordinarily specific estimates of 68.8 for £26 a month to then provide sub 2/3rds of that for the same cost....

I will post a result tonight when I am home again but as said, have done this test before and get a maximum of 43mb on the line, when BT tell me I am configured for 80 so somethings getting lost along the way, and the infrastructure is BT's so if it's broken/breaking they should be fixing it no?

Thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 69

Go to solution
if you check your phone number here it will tell you the estimate for your line regardless of what you were promised http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017
0 Ratings
stevebailey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 69

Go to solution

Thanks Bullitt, the result is what I got when signing up with postcode estimate and phone number after it was installed, oddly the standard ADSL would lead me to think I am very close and have very good libe quality to get the 7.0mb of 8.5 available..........

68.8Mb download
20.0Mb upload
Now 
Between 5.0Mb and 8.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 7.0Mb)
Now
0 Ratings