Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EricHuw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 69

Re: BT Infinity 2 - Speed not as promised

Go to solution

I agree with you.

It would be like going to Tesco or Sainsbury and handing over £1.50 for 'up to 20 apples' and being given 5. 

As you say it only works if you apply the ISP business model. Anywhere where else in business or customer service it would be completely untenable and probably illegal. 

0 Ratings
stevebailey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 69

Go to solution

@Bullitt

Very helpful, please do not comment on my post anymore, I would like it to be taken seriously.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
somniac
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 69

Go to solution

BT's estimates seem to me to be fantasy much of the time. Designed to attract custom.
My confirmation document told me my speed would be (not should be) 38mps.
I get between 15 and 25.
I have been through all the routes to get it sorted and the mods on here have done their utmost to help, but the fact is there is 700m of ali cable between me and the cab so there is nothing they can do about it.
Now they presumably knew this when they told me what my speed would be.
It seems to me bad business acumen to promise services you know you can't deliver.
If they were honest in the first place about what speeds people are likely to get (i.e. You will probably get about 20mps-ish cos you've got ali) I would still be happy as it is 3 times faster than my previous connection.
As it is, they are coming in for some drastic flak which is bound to reflect in their business eventually.

0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 24 of 69

Go to solution

@stevebailey wrote:

@Bullitt

Very helpful, please do not comment on my post anymore, I would like it to be taken seriously.

Thank you.

try and keep up steve

i was replying to jane callaghan not you which would be obvious if you read the thread

some people seem to think theres a magic formula you can apply to up to 76 to arrive at some arbitrary figure

the fact is that up to 76 means you wont get more than 76 you will only get between zero and 76

0 Ratings
stevebailey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 69

Go to solution

try and keep up steve

i was replying to jane callaghan not you which would be obvious if you read the thread

some people seem to think theres a magic formula you can apply to up to 76 to arrive at some arbitrary figure

the fact is that up to 76 means you wont get more than 76 you will only get between zero and 76

________________________________________________________________________________

I did read the thread, I did know who  you were replying to. As the OP I am asking that you do not post anymore in the thread, Jane is raising the same point I am, which is we are being promised very specific exstimates that the real world speeds come no where near to matching.

Stating you will get between 0-76 is just idiocy, so we shoudl be happy if we get 128kpbs should we....

Please do not post again, helpful or not.

Thank you

0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 26 of 69

Go to solution

@stevebailey wrote:

try and keep up steve

________________________________________________________________________________

I did read the thread, I did know who  you were replying to. As the OP I am asking that you do not post anymore in the thread, Jane is raising the same point I am, which is we are being promised very specific exstimates that the real world speeds come no where near to matching.

Stating you will get between 0-76 is just idiocy, so we shoudl be happy if we get 128kpbs should we....

try and keep up steve

if you ever get round to doing a full speedtest on speedtester.bt.com where it reports your ip profile

you will see it tells you what the acceptable speeds are for your connection

0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 69

Go to solution

The estimates you recieve - as I did -  are based on the distance from the cab to your house. They quite specifically say that other users the same distance away as you have achieved a given speed. What the estimate cannot and does not account for is the state of the copper (or aluminium) line twixt the cab and your house - and, realistically, it cannot do so without an engineer examines the line.

The whole "up to" thing is, I'll grant, an annoyance, but the technology is such that there is the variable of the line - and that is the point at which all bets are speculative. Once a full fibre to the premises is in place, then, and only then, can synch speeds be guaranteed - and in my mind should be - as the fibre itself is installed specifically for that purpose.

Also, I would like to see the various ISPs offering an "up to" 40 down, 10 up unlimited tariff, as well as the capped 40gig data transfer limit, and offer that to anyone whose line is not capable of higher. But then I'd also like to see an 80/as high as it will go offering, too...

EricHuw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 69

Go to solution

This isn’t intended as a specific reply to hifistud but a contribution to the thread. 

From the point of view of an end user the technological arguments about how far away a house is from the cabinet or the quality of the cable are irrelevant. I’m expecting the service to be close to that estimated by BT and if it isn’t it’s BT’s job to put it right. The attitude of ‘be grateful for what you’re given’ that seems common on these forums simply isn’t good enough. 

I expect an estimate either of price or level of service to be close to the actual product or service, around 1% - 2%. The gap between what BT is estimating and what they are delivering is untenable. It looks like cynical sharp practice and probably is. 

When I signed up for Infinity 2 I was told I could receive 47 mb. I’m getting 33mb. How does that difference arise? Does it mean that there are people in my post code area receiving 47 mb and faster?If so why can’t I get that and why am I paying the same? 

Earlier in the thread comparisons were made between broadband and other types of customer service. This is, in my view, completely valid. If the gap between what BT advertises and what they are delivering for many people is applied elsewhere it quickly becomes apparent how absurd it is. 

If you’re reading this and thinking, yes but it’s the cable etc, then you don’t understand the issue and you need to reframe  your thinking in terms of customer service. I expect from BT what I get from many other companies and organisations -  the gap between their marketing and what they deliver to be non-existent or negligible. 

0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 29 of 69

Go to solution
what can you do with 47 mb thats impossible with 33 mb?
0 Ratings
somniac
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 69

Go to solution

Probably not much but that's missing the point isn't it? 

The issue is what is promised as against what is delivered.

0 Ratings