cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asm86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT Infinity 2 - Sudden Drop in Speeds After 6 Months

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me understand what is going on. I have been on the upgraded 80/20 package BT Infinity 2 since April, my speeds have been rock solid at 47mbps download / 14mbps upload (Tested with BT speedtester and speedtest.net)

Yesterday this suddenly changed, and my speeds are now 38mbps download / 9mbps upload, tested with the same speedtesters as before. Before actually checking the speeds and seeing this drop, I noticed a disconnection occured, for about 30 seconds, before reconnecting itself. I understand that BT employs a DLM system that will interpret a disconnect like that as instability and drop the line speed to stabilise it, but this seems a massive drop no? I do not experience disconnects very often at all, the line seems very stable and solid speedwise as I say for the last 6 months or so.

I would like to add also that when I signed up for the upgrade, and still right now if I run the check, BT's site estimates that I should receive something in the region of 61mbps download / 19mbps upload. After the bedding in period, I queried with the Forum Moderators here why I was at 47/14, and not nearer to the estimate, I was assured that everything looked optimum with my connection at those levels, and I was satisfied with that. I am however dismayed at this sudden drop yesterday, and worried that I may never get back the speeds which I have enjoyed for the last 6 months. What course of action should I take?

Nothing has changed in my home setup, there are no flashing or orange lights on the HH3, I never (ever) reset the modem or router, I use a wired connection all of the time and so all tests are run that way. How can a 30 second disconnect cause a drop of 9meg down and 4meg up?

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice, and I am happy to provide further information or stats that could help diagnose the problem.

Thank you very much reading.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Infinity 2 - Sudden Drop in Speeds After 6 Months

Hi all you can do is just leave everything alone and once the DLM see your line as stable again it will start to increase your IP Profile again increasing your speed again this may take several week though
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 11

has your ip profile changed?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

run the diagnostic BT speed test this is a link to it http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/and post back the results showing your IP Profile
0 Ratings
asm86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Yes it has dropped, here are 2 tests using speedtester.bt.com. This one is from April 19th 2012:

http://i45.tinypic.com/xq9po7.png

And this one just done today October 5th 2012:

http://i49.tinypic.com/5bp07.png

IP Profile has gone from 48.03 to 39.63

Just so you know also the actual speed results in the first test are not accurate as it was run in the days immediately after the upgrade to 80/20, and the tester was giving flakey speed results as it was no doubt being hammered by users. I was getting the full 48 pretty much.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

The DLM has seen your line as unstable possibly due to line noise all you can do for now is just leave the connection alone and after a couple of weeks if the DLM sees the line as stable again the DLM should start to increase your speed again
0 Ratings
asm86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Thanks for that John, I suppose I will just have to monitor it for the next couple of weeks. Do you know if the DLM gradually adjusts the profile, once ever 24 hours say, or may it just be in one big jump after some period of days? Also, what would you advise to do if nothing changes after 2 weeks, I am jumping the gun a bit I know, but is there any other form of recourse I could take?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

if after a couple of week then you may need the forum moderators to get Openreach involved to arrange a reset
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 11

DLM often takes ten days to a couple of weeks to increase the profile, then a big jump. Sometimes smaller jumps after that at faster intervals as DLM gets where it is going.

Worth disconnecting/reconnecting the router each morning; sometimes DLM is ready to go faster but the profile system does not catch up; the disconnect/reconnect will force the profile to match the DLM controlled sync speed. Do not do anything to the modem.

0 Ratings
asm86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Thanks again John, I will know what to do in the event that nothing changes.

Thanks also sjtp for that useful information regarding the DLM. I was under the impression that neither modem or router should be power cycled, so it helpful to know that the router can be rebooted safely. I will do that each day and see how it goes.

Will update the thread with an outcome when the time comes, if it has not been locked or anything.

Thanks again guys for your help.

0 Ratings