cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adam86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 121 of 202

Re: BT Infinity 2 WAN Connection Dead

@PaddyB I have now just sent the details onto you.

Thanks
0 Ratings
drwwphotoboy
Beginner
Message 122 of 202

@PaddyBSent in my details thanks - and happy new year!

0 Ratings
drwwphotoboy
Beginner
Message 123 of 202

@Adam86

I did try bypassing the Home Hub (see suggestion here - https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Infinity-2-WAN-Connection-Dead/td-p/1805...) and making a direct conncetion via my laptop using ethernet, setting up PPPeO connection however it couldn't connect. This was using 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com' as username and 'BT' as password. Each time after about 2 mins of trying to connect the computer pops up a dialogue saying 'Could Not Find a PPPoE Server'.

I doubt it's my home hub - its something external and it would seem that it happened to a bunch of users on the 23rd and your dad and me (and who knows how many others) around 4am on the 29th.

0 Ratings
Achaddy
Contributor
Message 124 of 202

So it would seem the network team cannot see any commonality between all of us but one common thing is this is happening in batches. So far we have 13:30 23rd Dec and now 04:00 on the 29th Dec.
What work are BT wholesale doing that is causing this. I have already run with the PPPoE profile migration but that doesn’t seem to have gained much traction from BT. They continue to look at the Network but it’s clearly something else.
PaddyB what else is common to us all. Pppoe server, load balancer, VPN accelerator ?
I don’t know how BT tech teams are organised but this looks like one arm doesn’t know what the other is doing.
0 Ratings
radiumrob
Aspiring Contributor
Message 125 of 202

Mine was last operational around 0830 27 December.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 126 of 202

Don't forget that problems happen every day to lots of people's broadband connections.Given that BT has millions of customers it is inevitable that some of the faults will happen around the same time on the same day.

This forum is testament to that. 

Don't get blinkered just because your broadband is not working that every posters problem is the same just because it happened around about the same time, there is even disparity about that in this thread. Keep an open mind that your problems might not be the same. 

If you haven't already done it, you should carry out the basic trouble shooting diagnostics that are recommended when ever a broadband connection goes down. You might just find that you don't have the same problem and you require a different "fix".

0 Ratings
megadam
Contributor
Message 127 of 202

50% agree, 50% disagree.

Agree on the part that problems do happen on a daily basis and the network infrastructure for BT will be massive as it supports millions of customers and that faults will occur at the same time of the day regardless of location.

What I disagree on however is not taking any consideration into the fact that people are not only getting the same error message but also some getting it at the same time I reported the issue. I'm not annoyed by that part, what I'm annoyed by is the fact that BT's processes and how people are trained to deal with them is that they cannot take into consideration the error message that is being displayed and passing that on to the relevant teams. The fact that I've been told it's my equipment which was working perfectly fine and the error message suggesting that it was not the modem or the router I was ignored and have had to waste a whole week on going through the process.

The fact that it takes a community maintained forum to be able to escalate to the right team and get the right visibility on this issue shows there's a failing in BT's processes to communicate when issues occur. This isn't the first time that this has been the case, but actually listening to customers would make the process a fair bit easier.

Oh, and I talk from someone who has experience in the industry. I applaud this forum and the people that maintain it!

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 128 of 202

I was not commenting on how you or others were dealt with by BT Customer Services, who are not trained to deal with anything other than to follow a basic fault finding script. How their first line support works or doesn't is a problem for BT to deal with.

I am talking about people who may have posted on this thread because they think the have the same problem when they have possibly not done any diagnostics/fault finding and may have just assumed that they have the same problem. This frequently happens and as I said, it may just be the case that all the posters on this thread do not have the same fault, and that includes those that have the same error message. Conversely they may have the same fault but until they are all resolved that won't be know. 

0 Ratings
readjono
Aspiring Contributor
Message 129 of 202

Well either way this forum has stopped me spending a load of unneccessary money/banging my head against a wall over the Christmas period.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 130 of 202

@readjono wrote:

Well either way this forum has stopped me spending a load of unneccessary money/banging my head against a wall over the Christmas period.

Yes, no need to keep ringing support in India who are clueless to the problem.

I will add it's not their fault, they just don't have the tools to investigate or refer it higher.