cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Infinity 2 bandwidth decreasing and ping increasing

Hi, I'm on BT Infinity 2, last week I had two engineers out to check my slow line.  They managed to reinstate it and said they had reset the IP profile, pinned the line at the first level or minimum interleaving and set the line to 'fast' so that my pings were dramatically reduced for gaming etc.  I was getting 16 down, 8 up with a 60ms ping.  After the reset I was on 54 down, 17 up with a 23ms ping.

As of yesterday, something changed, I'm now back to 44 down, 12 up with a 33ms ping...the incremetal decreases look to have started again and are being automatically applied.  The line was back to pretty much perfect with very little bufferbloat for gaming for almost a week.

How can I get it all reset yet again before this issue just gets unbearable again?

Thanks,

Geoff

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Infinity 2 bandwidth decreasing and ping increasing

Can you post the stats from your router please

sounds like your router is dropping broadband connection causing higher noise margin and lower speed. If that is the case then until the dropping connection is solved there is no point in any DLM reset. Only engineer after a visit can reset DLM 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

In the last year my bandwidth has gone from a respectable 62-64Mbps when I had the HH5, now I am down to 52Mbps with the SmartHub, and now I sometimes get pings in the 100s where before I was upset if I got 15ms, it averages out at about 16 now.

I even put the HH5 back on for a little while to makes sure I was not imagining it.

I did call in ages ago to ask why this was happening, but it was like trying to talk to a child who had no clue nor interest about what was being said so I just gave up in the end.

The thing is, that I pay for up to 76Mbps yet only ever consistently get 52Mbps so figure why am I paying for 76Mbps, I may as well just go for the 52Mbps contract as I know I can hit this at full pelt, and if I do not get 52Mbps, then I will know BT are limiting or rationing our bandwidth cos I get this now so there would be no other logical reason for me not to get it if I switch to Infinity 1.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Thank you for the reply, you're probably right, I have an enginner coming out today who can hopefully correct the matter.

Out of interest, how do I obtain the router stats you require?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Are these the stats you require?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 10.56.59.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

stats don't show connection time.  your conenction speed is low compared to your attainable yet noise margin is normal 6db  are you getting a lot of drops in conenction?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 11.25.23.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

The connection seemed to be pretty stable for the week it was working with minimal disconnections etc, it was the first time I'd been quite happy with the connection for years, but that only lasted a week or so lol

I've just requested some information on 100mb BTnet Premium, apparently the UK latency is 5-10ms as it goes straight into the main BT gigabit backbone instead of via local exchanges...not sure how true that is, or how expensive, but gaming would be feasible again if that were the case 🙂  I can't get an uncontended leased line as the nearest connection is 5km away (unless I use someone like Evolved Networks uncontended FTTC bonding, but not sure how the latency would fair up in comparison)

Any advice appreciated and again thank you for the reply

0 Ratings