cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

BT Infinity 2 download speed being throttled daily by BT

ok, so before i take my case to OFCOM, I would like to ask the Mods to possibly check on any possible "congestion" links to my Exchange. (Lurgan, Co.Armagh N.Ireland)

My "green box" is 700 yards away from my home. fttc

I logged a call with "Delhi" (rolls-eyes) 2 weeks ago, they said "there was a fault outside and it has now been fixed". .... eh no it hasn't my Dehli friend! ...

Daily , i get a scheduled speed drop on my line. I have recorded modem stats to prove it. See graphs below.

I have used 3 different modems and all yield same results. Daily throttling By BT!

Would be most grateful if a Mod can check this before I proceed to Ofcom. Thanks

cabinet 118.jpg

fullspeed (Medium).jpgThrottled1 - Copy (Medium).jpg

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT Infinity 2 download speed being throttled daily by BT

@xlr8r 

Ofcom would not be interested unless you receive a deadlock letter from BT, to say they cannot provide the service promised.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Provided you are within Range A  connection speed, there is no  fault, as normal download speed variations are expected as line conditions change, and levels of crosstalk from other circuits vary. External interference can also affect the connection speed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

I'd be interested to know what you think OFCOM can/will do about it. Congestion does happen, it is not something done purposely by BT.

A bit more info may help such as how long has this been occuring? Is it always at the same time every day?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

according to what you have posted you have a stable connection of 68mb for the last 7 days with noise margin slightly higher than normal at 7db

if you are taking about your download speed and not connection speed can you post btspeedtester results using an ethernet connection  when speed is bad and again when it is ok - probably peak and off peak times

make sure you leave exchange and cab when posting dslchecker results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

OP edited to include dsl info.

yes happens daily usually around the same times and always by the same reduction amount.

I noticed a few times after doing a speedtest at different times of the day, that I was getting lower speeds than what I pay for (infinity 2). So i started to log using my (2 x unlocked HG612, +1 Zyxel) modems to prove it .

Low and behold , there it was in plain sight , consistent throttling on a daily basis.  

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

sorry the two graphs will confuse as I took them at different dates just to illustrate the rise and fall. ignore the dates and just use as a visual guide to the effect, which is daily.

All tests I performed are on wired connection only

thanks

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

As its the maximum attainable rate you are looking at, that will vary all the time, depending on line conditions and the level of interference. The actual connection speed remains the same, otherwise it would have lost sync.

Its not actually causing a disconnection, and you are not actually paying for a guaranteed speed, you are paying for an average speed, which will not drop below the minimum you were guaranteed when you started your contract.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

a few months ago i did a similar test and there was no fluctuation at all over a week of logging

so why now am i seeing it now and at approx the same time of day ?

thanks

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

@xlr8r wrote:

a few months ago i did a similar test and there was no fluctuation at all over a week of logging

so why now am i seeing it now and at approx the same time of day ?

thanks

Interference causing loss of available frequencies. Could be anything from an electrical appliance, usually switched mode power units, or something else that is switched on during that period.

VDSL occupies a very wide frequency bandwidth, as you can see by this chart.

adsl vdsl spectrum.jpg

So it could be anything within those "down" frequency bands that is causing the reduction in attainable rate.

Without access to a spectrum analyser, it would be impossible to say. A good start would be to look at things within your own house which get switched on at the time of the drop, especially as is very regular. Perhaps you added something new recently, perhaps a TV?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

okay, so ive been scratching my head trying to determine whats being switched on in my house at around approx. 14:45 , stays on all night and is then turned off the next day at approx 10:00 am...?

I even checked my network stats on my Asus Rog Rapture AX-GT11000 router (checked every device, wired and wifi), and none of the traffic times match up with the modem stats rise and fall times....?

i don't think its my equipment "interfering" with the line ?

0 Ratings