Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidfarquhar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Infinity 2 not working and I'm confused

Hi,

Last week my BT Infinity 2 stopped working, no known cause.  I had an engineer out to visit on Wednesday and he did some work on the outside of the property and cleared up some noise issues I had on my phone line, replaced the master socket with a new one and confirmed I had a good DSL connection through to my Openreach Modem (which is attached to a Homehub 3).  His recommendation was that we replace the Openreach Modem and HH3 with a new Homehub which is now on order.

Due to Christmas logistics its not due for delivery until next Wednesday 3rd, so a friend lent me his spare ASUS DSL-AC68U DSL router.  It was only spare because his ISP wouldn't let him use it on their connection, otherwise it should be working fine.  I've done a full factory reset on it, upgraded it to the latest firmware, and then set it up for BT Infinity using the setup wizard, referring to various threads on this forum for help.

However I can't get on to broadband.  The router reports that the DSL link is up, but can't connect to the internet.  So now I'm a bit confused - the engineer's diagnosis of faulty equipment seemed reasonable, everything else was cleaned up / upgraded and I have a good DSL signal.  But if this router which should be working fine can't connect, then is there something else that could be wrong?

Having had no broadband for over a week now I'm concerned that I'll get to Wednesday, plug in the new Homehub 6 and find the same issue, and then have to wait for another engineer visit.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

David

WAN settings

DSL settings

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
megadam
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Infinity 2 not working and I'm confused

If you're using an ASUS there should be a section called logs or diagnostics in the admin console. From there try and look for the logs and see if you're getting the following error message:

PPPoE Timeout waiting for PADO packets.

If you are and I suspect based on your situation you are getting the same issue as an evergrowing number of people are:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Infinity-2-WAN-Connection-Dead/td-p/1805...

0 Ratings
davidfarquhar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

I saw that thread just after I posted my post.  I'm getting that error message, at least I'll get an upgraded homehub out of this which is one positive.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 4 of 12

You'd be far better off sticking with a third party router.

0 Ratings
Achaddy
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

@davidfarquhar wrote:

I saw that thread just after I posted my post.  I'm getting that error message, at least I'll get an upgraded homehub out of this which is one positive.

There will be no positive when it doesnt work and hopefully they didn't con you into upgradiing at a cost.

This is a BT wholesale issue and they have ***EDITED*** up but wont admit it.

lets stopt being nicey nicey. These guys are complete muppets and we should all move to another provider.

The issue you see on the other poost is 99.9% whot you have got an wont be sorted with a new home hub

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

As most providers use the BT Wholesale network changing providers will not solve your problem
0 Ratings
Achaddy
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

in this case I believe it will because this isnt hardware isue, i.e. hub, cab , exchange blah blah.

Its BT wholesale problem with DSL profiles. if you move to another provider say Sky who have a cab in your exchange then moving to them will sort this issue as you will no longer be using BT Wholsale PPPoE server, WHICH IS THE ISSUE WE ARE ALL SEEING. 

AN I ***EDITED*** off about this. DAM right i am and they refuse to acknowledge the problem,

0 Ratings
NoSirItWasntMe
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

@Achaddy

@davidfarquhar

It might still be a hardware issue the Asus you are using is famously flaky. You said your friend can’t use it as it was banned by his ISP, unfortunately BT are starting to do the same thing with unapproved modem routers and have threatened to disconnect if a router causes problems .See http://goo.gl/HVX7Ut

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 12

@NoSirItWasntMe  The link seems to be  broken.

Working now.  Never mind.

0 Ratings
NoSirItWasntMe
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

Thanks Liam looks like a Google error so edited reply to remove s from link
0 Ratings