cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT Infinity 2 - speed dropped by about 20 megs in the past month and a half-2 months

Hi there,

I've with BT broadband for 5+ years now, and have had the faster Infinity 2 for maybe that whole time (I have the Halo package).  For years, I've been getting 73mb download speeds whenever I do a speed test.  I live pretty close to the exchange, so I think that helps.  Over the past 6-8 weeks, I noticed a drop in speed which coincided with a static issue on the phone line.  Sometimes when the phone would ring, there'd be a shrill, piercing ring tone.  The broadband speed ranged anywhere between 17mm to the 40s.

I called BT, who said there was a fault with the line and an Openreach engineer came out.  As soon as he stepped in the house, he said it may be an issue witht a cable in a cabinet as when he was working on it recenrly, he'd noticed a bad cable. He fixed that and the speed went back up to 60mb that morning.  However, within a day it was down to below 50 again.  I called BT who still found a fault on their end and sent an engineer out.  He looked inside at my telephone points and said everything was okay, and then went outside to look for the fault underground.  He couldn't find it but needed to come back the next day to check some other exchange points nearby.  As he only worked outside, I wasn't needed and I received a text a the end of the day saying I need to call BT to arrange an engineer visit.  I'm assuming he didn't finish.  I arranged an appointment but the engineer didn't turn up, so I had to arrange another visit for this past Monday.

This engineer went outside and said that the exchange had some poor crimping and aluminium cables which can easily get damaged (but that this can take BT years to fix).  In any case, he says I'm now getting around 55MB which they deem is fine for Infinity 2 (I've seen this speed of 55mb when I've run a check).  However, this is nearly a 20MB drop from the 73MB speed I used to get for years, and I haven't changed the package (including the fact I live very close to the exchange).

Has this happened to anyone?  Any ideas what it could be?  Could it be that BT has deliberately dropped the speed in my area for some reason?  I'm due to renew my contract next week, and I'm seriously considering switching as they've pretty much washed their hands of this problem now.

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Infinity 2 - speed dropped by about 20 megs in the past month and a half-2 months

@Quackington 

Is your phone line still noisy?

Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

A noisy line will affect the speed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Re: BT Infinity 2 - speed dropped by about 20 megs in the past month and a half-2 months

@Keith_Beddoe Hi. No, the static has gone as far as I can tell.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Please can you post the connection information from the home hub.

If you are using the BT Smart hub you can get your connection stats by, Opening a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.  Click Advanced Settings’ and then ‘Technical log’

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe 

Sorry, I was looking at your first response on my phone earlier, and it didn't show the full message including the number to call and try option 2.  I called the number and listened in - there is definitely static (a white noise-like hiss) in between the automated voice.  It's constant.

I've run my phone number through the broadband availability checker you've linked, I've attached a screenshot of the results:

Screenshot_2020-01-02 BT Broadband.png

Is the above the same info you wanted to see from the Smart Hub connection stats?  If not, please let me know what you'd like to see from there.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

If you have noise on the line then report a noisey line. Once repaired your broadband will improve.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thanks, I'll call about the noise tomorrow.  Hopefully this'll resolve it.

0 Ratings