cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shadowze
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

BT Infinity 2 speed issues - 12mb dn ... 17mb up ?

Go to solution

Hi Folks,
I am having download speed issues with my BT inifinty 2 connection (slow download speeds) for a couple
of weeks now.

This is the second time I have raised the same fault with BT (first ticket was closed without issue being fixed)

For a couple of years now been with BT infinity 2 and I have been getting near full speed when both
downloading and uploading (Iam close to cabinet 100meters) I normally get

76mbs download
17mbs upload

Been very happy for the last few years paying over £50 a month for this great quality service ..... up until a couple of weeks ago
But now I get

12mbs download
17mbs upload

I have had several conversations with BT support team , but nothing has gotten any better (they basically went through their standard
scripts and I tried all that was suggested - which basically amounted to turn it off and on / we will refresh your line)
The line sync rate appears to be ok, but I cannot download data at a good rate (its more like adsl download speeds than fiber)

I hope someone from BT staff  can help me out here , I would really appreciate it

My Hardware set-up:
Btopenreach modem + TP-link router (also have BT Homehub3) tried both no difference
Desktop Computer connected via Ethernet cable (cable tested and is working fine)

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: BT Infinity 2 speed issues - 12mb dn ... 17mb up ?

Go to solution

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Could you please post the results from the BT Wholesale speed checker, including the further diagnostics.

Do you have dial tone on your phone? A disconnection on one wire will affect broadband, and you will get no dial tone.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Shadowze
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

Howdy,

Thanks for replying, here is the info you requested, I also did some other speed tests apart from BT

Phone works ok , no noise etc on line , I get Dial tone

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution
Can you run the further diagnostics on the BT Wholesale tester?

Do you have any other devices connected?

Why are you testing to a server in Londond if you're in Northern Ireland?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Shadowze
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks for replying

Can you run the further diagnostics on the BT Wholesale tester?
Yes , see below

Do you have any other devices connected?
No

Why are you testing to a server in Londond if you're in Northern Ireland?

Will the speed test not be fairly accurate as long as the server is within the UK

Just checking but you know that Northern Ireland is part of the UK?

Here is another test within NI - Enniskillen

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution
The BT Wholesale test confirms the issue is not within the BT network.

There may well be an issue with a peering link somewhere.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Shadowze
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

The speed being ok with the BT wholesale speed checker just means I can do awesomely fast speed tests with one server not that I can download anything else fast

Example

Try to download a file from BT Cloud (best of my knowledge BT host this themselves do they not ?

150-180Kbp/s download speed

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution
It's probably not hosted within the internal core network no.
0 Ratings
Shadowze
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

Maybe the BT cloud is not hosted within the core BT network .....

But do you think that on a line synced at over 70mbps

that 150-180kbps is an acceptable speed ?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution
Depends on what the cause of the issue is as to who is responsible for it and therefore what would be deemed as acceptable.

If it's outside the BT network as indicated by the BT Wholesale test, I'm not sure what you'd expect BT to do?

0 Ratings