cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shadowze
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 24

Re: BT Infinity 2 speed issues - 12mb dn ... 17mb up ?

Go to solution

So by your logic if I can connect to one BT hosted server in the BT network and get a good speed

But try speeds tests on 3 different sites and a couple of locations and they show up poor speeds

and trying to download stuff of various other sites in many different networks are ALL poor

That all these other places are all having the problem at the same time ?

I wonder what the statistical odds are of that are ?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution
So bascially the BT Wholesale test is located within the BT Wholesale network, which BT Wholesale have control over. The speed leaves the spedtest server at let's say 74meg. If it arrives at your router at that speed, this proves the integrity of the BT Wholesale network.

If the speed is only entering the BT network at let's say 20mbps, it's impossible to get to you through the BT network at any soeed greater than that.

It could simply be a problem with the peering node that connects BT's network to "the internet" that is facing problems. This would cause the type of issue you're seeing, but is not necessarily a BT issue.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Shadowze
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

I have to disagree 

It would  be more accurate to state that I connected to ONE single server within the BT network

and managed to get a good speed, one server , 1 , singular

So by your logic connecting to ONE server amongst the many many pieces of network equipment

that makes up the BT network , means the entire BT network is fine ?

Sounds a bit odd

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

You're missing the point, any connection is only as fast as the slowest link in the chain, there are multiple links involved. If all the links within the BT network are ok and the slow link is elsewhere, it is not BT's responsibility.

0 Ratings
Shadowze
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

I understand that the slowest link in the chain will effect the speed

Ah I get you, so doing the wholesale speed test , checks all the links in BT's network ?

or

just the link between my connection and the bt wholesale test server ?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

You could try disconnecting your hub to force a change of public IP address that may route differently. Worth a shot.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution
The Wholesale tested is at the "end" of the BT network if you will, so it tests the route of the traffic from the end (or entry point for incoming connectivity) of the network, through to your exchange, down your line to your device.

So yes, it tests the route of the network that your traffic would take. As it shows no slowdown in speed, it indicates there's no bottleneck within the BT network.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Shadowze
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

Powered BT homehub off for an hour  ............. powered it back and  .. no difference

powered of for another hour ....... powered on .... speed is not back to original levels but a lot better

0 Ratings
Shadowze
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

Well that lasted a couple of hours before the speed is back to a crawl

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @Shadowze and thanks for posting.

I'll be happy to take a look at this for you so if you haven't already done so please drop me over an email with your details and we'll take it from there. You'll get the contact link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings