cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Infinity 2

Hi,

I've got BT Infinity 2.  When you plug it in through ethernet I get speeds of 78 mb.  When you use it wirelessly it gets max speeds of 30 mb.  The engineer that came to install it said we are very near our exchange so should get very high speeds.

When using it wirelessly it is tested using three different laptops in the same room as the HH3.

Upstairs the max results it gets is 20 mb

Is there any reason why the wireless results are so slow?  Would buying a different router fix the problem?

Thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Infinity 2

Wireless speeds are typically not as fast as ethernet speeds. There are many different factors affecting the speed of your wireless connection. I haven't got time to go into them, but Google for answers on increasing wireless speeds - but don't expect too much.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

I know that there are factors why it isn't 80 mb but surely it should get better than 30 mb sitting in the same room as the hub on the Infinity 2 package?

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

If you have interference then it will effect the speed your wifi runs at even at close proximity to the hub. This wouldnt be down to bt to fix. Have you tried changing channels on the wireless settings? Its possible a new router would do better at cutting through any interference you have especially if you get a 5ghz model and you have compatible kit.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

Yeah I've tried changing the channels using inSSIDer to check which channels are best to use.  Even on a channel with no interference it gets the same results.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

as has been posted there are too many external sources of interference not just any other routers that can and will cause wireless slow downs
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 7 of 8

Could just be the type of wifi card, typically any wifi card that is not wireless N will have poor speed on the homehub 3. most poeple currently have wireless G which has a max speed of around 54meg which will nromally get a speed of around 20-30meg on wifi.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for all the replies.  The network card isn't the problem as it's using the latest macbook air with wireless N

Wireless Network Adapter (802.11 a/b/g/n)

Any other suggestions/ideas?

0 Ratings