Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SportiveUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

BT Infinity 4 Connection Confusion

Go to solution

Hi,

I have moved into a new build property with FTTP using BT Infinity 4 which is supposed to give me 330mbps. I was assured that I would be able to use my Draytek 2925n Router when I ordered the service and was assured that the engineer would perform a 'premuim' installation including discussing how to set up my own router with the BT equipment. As it turns out the engineer didn't have a clue about anything other than connecting the SmartHub.

I have an Openreach device on my wall which the fibre cable goes directly into. This connects to the SmartHub via ethernet cable, and the guide the engineer left says it is a Huawei HG8240 GPON Terminal which to me suggests a modem and that the SmartHub is merely acting as a router and providing WiFi.

The big question is therefore, is the SmartHub needed at all and can I merely connect the GPON Terminal (modem?) directly to my Draytek router? This is ultra reliable and runs a large internal network.

As so few people seem to have FTTP, I can't seem to find any information on it other than people looking for 'modem only' mode on the SmartHub which I am guessing is never going to be found.

If the answer to my question above is "yes I can use my Draytek", are there specific settings that need to be used? All I can see in the SmartHub settings is a broadband username that looks like it needs to be used.

Many thanks

Andrew

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT Infinity 4 Connection Confusion

Go to solution

Yes you can use your Draytek. The username and password is the generic bthomehub@btbroadband.com and bt. Connection is PPPoE and VLAN setting of 101 if the Draytek doesn't have a wizard type setup option.

0 Ratings
SportiveUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution
Excellent, just as I suspected. I'll try tomorrow and report back. Many thanks.
0 Ratings
SportiveUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

I am getting "No response from server side" when checking online status. I have the following settings in my Draytek:

WAN 1 General Setup.PNG

WAN1 Internet Access.PNG

Does BT expect a specific registered MAC address (Virgin always used to) in which case I do have the functionality do add this. Is there anything obvious I have missed or got wrong? I have tried both with and without the password of bt.

Thanks

Andrew

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

I have no experience of FTTP so this may be a silly question - but you are entering BT (or anything, really) as password? Only the Password box in your screen print seems to be empty; and I suspect you won't get a connection if you don't have something there.

p

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Sorry - just noticed the bit where you say you have tried having BT as password.

p

0 Ratings
SportiveUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution
In the SmartHub settings there is a password box but it says "This is not required for BT Broadband customers", even though it looks as if something is in there... not that I can confirm what it is!
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

You would normally use a password of bt, so I don`t know why its not working when you do.

Does the BT supplied home hub work?

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

As I understand it, (some?) third party routers expect a password and won't play unless you enter BT or something. I don't think BT's own hubs require anything to be entered.

p

0 Ratings
SportiveUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

As long it doesn't look as if I have messed up any other settings (per pictures in previous post), then I'll get onto the support people to see if they can help. There is no reason it shouldn't work (unless I need to spoof the MAC address which I might try).

Andrew

0 Ratings