Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sonnyg_141
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT Infinity Activation

Go to solution

I am due to ahve Bt Infinity installed on Novemeber 2nd. I understand that I will not immediately receive the maximum speed possible.

I was just curious as to why this is? Do I have to wait for the line to activate? Will I still have access to the internet?

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
MadGamer1988
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Infinity Activation

Go to solution

Hello there,

You will not lose connection to the internet, as your existing service will still be active until Infinity is installed.  You will receive your new hub a couple of days before the installation date.  As with existing broadband the line needs to stabilize and this can take up to 10 days

0 Ratings
Highlighted
RubberNutter
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Hi

What will happen, on the day of your activation, you will get a call from the engineer advising you they are going to disconnect your line and reconnect to the fibre network, after this is done, they will come to your home and add a faceplate to your master socket (NTE5) if you don't have this type of socket they will change it. The vdsl modem has to be fitted at your master socket and it will not be fitted anywhere else, they may wall mount it. Beware this unit can get hot, this is why it fitted to the wall, if left on carpet it could overheat and catch fire. If the hub is going somewhere else other than where the master socket is, it is best to have it ready and the engineer will fit a datacable (CAT5e) from the vdsl modem to hub.

When the engineer is there they will test the line for speed, ask them what the connection speed is when using thier own JDSU tester, this is a good benchmark. For the 10 day stablization period this is for giving you the best connection speed to keep the line stable, the speed will change a few times over this period, do not switch the vdsl modem or hub off within this time as it may cause you speeds to drop and it will take longer to get to the best speed.

Use www.speedtester.bt.com to give you a good idea of how you line is looking it can be out as much as 4 meg, so if you got 20 meg sync speed it will be more like 24 meg and I would suggest trying to use this three times a day, one in the morning, one in the afternoon and one in the evening, the evening test will show a drop in connection speed this is normal, traffic management, however the throughput will be 12meg and above, for mines it drops to 15 meg for throughtput in the evening which is still fast enough and for most won't even notice the difference.

0 Ratings
sonnyg_141
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks a lot for your help!

Very nice of you!

0 Ratings