Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ChrisSE11
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Infinity: Any good? & BT Vision/5 Electric Sockets

Hi

I need to upgrade my home commnications as I need a faster broadband service.  I live in central London (zone 1 & 2 border) in SE11 Kennington/Oval area. 

I am currently a BT customer, however, I need something soon with a faster upload speed.  I am looking at BT Infiity (available in December 2010) & other providers who can provide the upload speed I require (O2, Be & Virgin).

Some questions:

1)  BT Infinity - any out there who uses it & can let me know what they think?   Are you getting much faster upload speeds?  Anything I should know about?  I need to have a wireless connection for this product.

2)  BT Vision - I've been checking out the installation for BT Infiinity.  If I've read it right...it has to connect to the "master socket".  The BT wiriing in my flat is not very clear (as I have two lines) but I'm assuming that the master socket is the nearest one to where the BT lead enters my flat.

OK, so here's what I'm concerned about.  The master socket is in my spare room & BT Vision is in my living room.  Am I right in saying that I will need a whopping 5 electric sockets across both rooms to enable both to work from the rooms they have to work from.

BT Infinity (spare room):  1) plug for new hub  2)  plug for VDSL modem  3)  Powerline adaptor for BT Vision connection in other room (I don't currently use them but do have them from my original order)

BT Vision (living room):  1) plug for BT Vision  2)  Powerline adaptor to connect to broadband in the other room

I currently just use the hub phone... but if I added a phone that would be 6) plugs in all!

I am conscious about the environment & my electric bill...and think this would be a showstopper for me getting BT Infinity.

Can anyone out there confirm my concerns?  I'm not technical so am totally reliant on reading the BT & 3rd party sites about this.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Infinity: Any good? & BT Vision/5 Electric Sockets

The impact on the environment, and your electricity bill, is down to the amount of electrickery you're using to power your devices  - not the number of sockets used.

100W from a single socket is really no different to 4 devices plugged in to 4 sockets and drawing 25W each...

0 Ratings
RubberNutter
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hi

I have infinity and my upload speed is 6 meg faster than most download speeds, I only get 25 meg download speed, if you get the 40 meg download speed you will most likey get 9-10 meg upload speed, for using homeplug it will take up at 2 power sockets plus 2 more for vdsl modem and hub, they are low power units and don't cost alot to run.

Goody
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

For upload speed Infinity is the best in the UK (virgins upload sucks 50 mb down 1 to 1.5 up and standard)

Infinty needs 2 plugs (modem and seperate router) and Vision needs 1. However as stated it is not the amount of plugs but the power (wattage) being drawn from them.

Example 1 x 100 watt bulb in your lights is the same as having 6 x 15 watt bulbs and having 10 watts free.

The hubs have a power save mode which you should enable and not turn the hubs off. Vision again you can leave on stand by as it wont draw more than a few watts and it prevents the having to wait as Vision has a silly start up time. I once timed it at close to 4 mins as it botted and scanned for channels.

Some people will say use the mains plugin network adaptors to get your BB to the other rooms but a good old fashoined network cable is still the best solution. Its quicker and does not add to your electricity bill.

stanwellback
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Have bt inifinity for 2 days, think it fantastic, getting 37.5 down 8 up. 

Which powerline adapters have you got as some of the old ones may not be fast enough to get all the speed from the infinity.

0 Ratings
ChrisSE11
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Wow that's fast.  To be honest I could with exactly what you've got...I would subsitute some download speed for upload spped.  Most useful.  Cheers.

0 Ratings
ChrisSE11
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Ummm the plot thickens.  I've just got it into my head that I would leave BT & go for another option.

I will have to look into the cable situation & see if I can run more with them not being in site.  We only have a small flat that's the problem.

Based on your feedback it sounds like I should steer clear of Virgin for Broadband.  I still have options so will try &  find out more about when Infinity definitely comes to my area...and O2 & Be who both should offer good upload speeds.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
ChrisSE11
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Hi

Based on other feedback I will go for additional cable if I get BT Infinity.  Thanks.

0 Ratings