cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
connymistro
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Infinity Availability

My local cabinet at Sturton Le Steeple has recently been enabled for fibre optic. However when I try and place an order of BT infinity i am unable to do so. People not far from the street are able to place the order despite being on the same cabinet. I do not understand. Is this because my house has not been enabled yet or that it will not become enabled?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Infinity Availability

If you use this checker and post a screen shot of the results, (remove your phone number before posting) it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only(EO) line. This means you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.

Sometime in the future Openreach may install a cabinet out side the exchange and this will allow EO lines to connect to a cabinet. This however is not high on their priority list so may take some time.

Use your phone number. If you don't have a BT number use the address checker. It is more accurate than the post code checker which can cover more than one cabinet.

0 Ratings
dinkdankdoo
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Hi 

I have a similar issue and followed the instructions offered by gg for myself and my neighbour.

On running the checker I received the following response

Address 10 xxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Exchange BRADWELL ABBEY is served by Cabinet 45

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 2.5--1 to 4Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 2.5Up to 0.51 to 4Available
ADSL MaxUp to 2--1 to 3.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available
Fixed Rate1----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------Available

I then ran it for my neighbour who lives at number 9 on the same street with the exact same postcode (I live at number 10)

and received the following response 

Address 9 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Exchange BRADWELL ABBEY is served by Cabinet 45

WBC FTTPUp to 330Up to 30--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3.5--2 to 6Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 3.5Up to 0.52 to 6Available
ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1.5 to 5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available
Fixed Rate1----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

This suggests we are both connected to the same cabinet.

No.9 can receive fibre but number 10 cannot.

I then checked the following OpenReach URL to see if it was oversubscribed but this does not appear to be the case 

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when

House Number 9

Exchange name: Bradwell Abbey

Great news. It looks like you can get super fast fibre broadband straight away via fibre directly to your home. Please contact your service provider for more details.

House Number 10 - same postcode

Exchange name: Bradwell Abbey

We're in your area but we're still assessing whether or not we can upgrade your cabinet. This means you can't order Superfast Fibre.

I called BT and Digital BT - neither were able to assist

Any clues from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Your neighbours address is showing as being able to receive Fibre to the Premises (FTTP). This is not the same as Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) albeit it is a fibre service.

FTTP is fibre all the way to the premises and gives much faster speeds, up to 330Mbps

FTTC is fibre to the cabinet and thereafter along copper cables with speeds up to 78Mbps

FTTP is at present a very limited option and the latest news was that further roll out had been suspended.

See link

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/01/bt-wholesale-suspend-new-orders-330mbps-fttp-demand-bro...

It would appear that your address can not get any version of fibre at present. All you can do is to keep checking to see if anything changes

If possible you should use your phone number to check as it is more accurate than the address checker.

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 9

Native FTTP is still being rolled out across the UK under both Openreach's Commercial fibre rollout and BDUK rollout and more and more FTTP is being seen.

It is just FTTPoD (Fibre to the Premise on Demand) which has been suspended.

@dinkdankdoo,
Is your current phone line fed overhead or underground?
If overhead you could see if there is a FTTP manifold on the distribution pole your line is attached to.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
dinkdankdoo
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Thank you both for the info - it is really helpful and appreciated.

I guess the first thing to point out is that when I tried to enter my telephone number on the checker I got the message :

"

There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided.

"

We have lieved at the house for nearly 20 years but are with TalkTalk on their own set-up.

To follow on to jac, the phone line is underground.

However, if I understand correctly, could I ask OpenReach to connect me up under the Commercial fibre rollout and BDUK rollout ??

Assuming I can afford it of course.

Thanks again

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

as you are a Talk Talk customer the checker will not work on yur line
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

This is some idea of cost of FTTPoD https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=0WyIM7tTGGguc...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

if you are underground fed it could well be that you currently have a copper cable direct in the ground that is not inside a piece if duct into your premises. if that is the case there is no way without Openreach spending excess money to get a fibre cable into your house. they would need to dig up the drive/garden and install some duct.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings