cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

BT Infinity Availiabilty Information (School)

I trying to get BT Infinity into a local primary school where I work as network manager. Its proving a very frustrating experience !

Our BT Exchange (Woodbridge Suffolk) has been enbled for FTTC and the local street cabinet (Woodbridge Cabinet 1) is showing as accepting orders. The school is within 150 metres of Cabinet 1 fed by underground cable post code IP121PG.

If I do an BTW address check it shows that FTTC is available with an estimated speed of 80Mbps (Primary School, IP121PG).

On this basis we have been placed two orders with Service Providers for FTTC. Each time a new PSTN line is installed but when the service provider tries to order Infinty they are told by Openreach that FTTC is not available on the installed telephone number.

This is confirmed using the BTW checker on the telephone number. Latest line installed 01394****** 

The last time we had a line installed I got the engineer to check whether there would be any issues providing FTTC. He verified that the new line termnated in Cabinet 1 and that there were spare tie pairs to the adjacent FTTC cabinet.

As a School its important for us to have fast cost effective broadband and FTTC looks an ideal solution for a small primary school. On the face of its it would appear that Infinity should be available to the School. If there is a technical issues with getting Infinity it would be useful to understand what it is so we can try and resolve things.

So far neither Openreach or our Service Providers have beeen able to provide any useful information on the issues we have experienced. I have even emailed Joe Garners office twice and received nothing other than an acknowledgement of my communication.

If anyone can offer some help I'd be really grateful.

Rob Booth

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Infinity Availiabilty Information (School)

Hi RobEBooth,

Most of the schools round us (be that primary or secondary) use the JANET education network which also links the schools systems to the LEA at the local council (eg to allow the LEA to block certain sites and to create a VPN and Proxy network between the schools systems and the councils)

Though from the BT Wholesale database, it seems to be a database error. However as a school, the school should be using a education or business communication service, rather than BT Infinity (which is for residential customers)

Also please can you edit the number for the security and safety of the school

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

this is a forum for residential customer and I would expect a schoil to  be treated as a business connection and you could try the business forum  https://business.forums.bt.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

To order residential Infinity, you have to order from BT Retail, the ISP. You also have to have a phone line from BT Retail.

It sounds like you're ordering from Service Providers other than BT Retail which is why you can't order Infinity.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 8

When I say Infinity I mean a business FTTC service which is available from a wide range of service providers. Although both PSTN line and FTTC connectivity are provided as wholesale products by Openreach.

Sorry for any confusion.

Rob

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 8

We are in fact trying to order a business FTTC service and phone line. The costs for an LEA service are very high although they do provide web filtering and proxy services.

We have our own on site proxy server and web filter ready to go. We just need the raw data connection to be up and running.

I have no problem publishing the phone number. There's no telephone attached and the schools numbers are all in the public domain. I thought it would be useful for anyone who could investigate on the Openreach/BTW databases.

Rob

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Sorry, this forum is for Residential Infinity provided by BT Retail, the ISP.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

I posted a link to business forum already

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings