Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
willbee
Beginner
Message 1 of 25

BT Infinity Connection Randomly Drops - Orange Lights

Good evening all,

I'm hoping someone may be able to help here. I have just moved house and had BT installed, BT Infinity, phone and TV. However, the internet connection randomly drops during the day, roughly 3 or 4 times and somewhere between 21:15 and 21:45 every evening, it will drop without fail. The Smart Hub just flashes orange lights at me for a few minutes before the connection comes back. I have spoken to BT about this and the lady I spoke to said there was a fault on my line and she cleared it her end... I asked for details but she couldn't say what it was specifically. They have also sent me a new Smart Hub 6 (I have a Type A and a Type B now) but sadly it hasn't made a difference. I have noticed that the Type A doesn't log in quite as much detail as the Type B.

I have run the quiet line test from a corded phone and it always comes back silent. I did it this evening just after the internet went down to see - still silent.

I live on a quiet road so there isn't much activity at the time my internet drops and nothing in the house kicks in or out that I could link it to. I'm stumpped!

Has anyone any ideas?

My next step is to try and get an engineer here to check my phone points. There are a couple in the living room where the router is, wondering if there is a short circuit on the line somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions,

Will

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: BT Infinity Connection Randomly Drops - Orange Lights

Can you post stats from your hh6. Try using the test socket with a filter to eliminate your internal wiring as causing a problem. You can also check when in test that there is no dial tone at any extension socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
willbee
Beginner
Message 3 of 25

Thanks for the reply. Here is the information output:

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ71232272

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B316

Firmware updated:

18-Dec-2017

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 1 Hours 16 Minutes 22 Seconds

Data rate:

6.89 Mbps / 30.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

6892 / 35092

Noise margin:

5.9 dB / 7.8 dB

Line attenuation:

25.8 dB

The other socket in my living room appears to not be connected. No dial tone when the phone is plugged in. I'll have a hunt around the house tomorrow and check where the other phone sockets are and whether they work or not.

Cheers

Will

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

Are these results from test socket?

enter phone number and post results. Remember to delete number. https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
willbee
Beginner
Message 5 of 25

Morning,

Could you clarify what you mean by test socket? I posted the results from the normal phone socket the phone and router are connected to using the ADSL filter.

I've attached the results from the DSL cheker website.

Cheers

Will

DSL Checker.png

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 25

the test socket is behind the bottomhalf of the master socket and master socket is normally the first socket in your home where openreach wire comes in from outside

your speed from router is similar to checker estimate and if noise margin was at normal 6db then speed would be nearer attainable max

test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
willbee
Beginner
Message 7 of 25

Ah right, I didn't realise that! Do you want me to post the same results from the test socket? Is it worth me leaving the router connected directly to the test socket to see if the issue still occurs?

Cheers

Will

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 8 of 25

@willbee wrote:

Ah right, I didn't realise that! Do you want me to post the same results from the test socket? Is it worth me leaving the router connected directly to the test socket to see if the issue still occurs?

Cheers

Will

Yes and yes.

0 Ratings
willbee
Beginner
Message 9 of 25

Will do!

0 Ratings
willbee
Beginner
Message 10 of 25

Hi all,

I just had a look at the master BT socket, unfortunately there isn't a test socket, just the one socket the faceplate plugs into. Either way, I plugged the filter into this and the internet re-established connectivity again. Information from the router again:

Product name:Smart Hub
Serial number:+088044+1643000466
Firmware version:v0.09.03.07171-BT
Firmware updated:unknown
Board version:01
DSL uptime:0 days,00 Hours06 Mins23 Secs
Data rate:5.742 Mbps / 30 Mbps
Maximum data rate:5.741 Mbps / 35.878 Mbps
Noise margin:5.9 / 9.1
Line attenuation:42.4 / 25.6
Signal attenuation:30.3 / 23.0
Data sent / received:14.5 MB / 78.6 MB
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:No
2.4 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-****
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
5 GHz wireless network name:BTHub6-****
5 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:Default
MAC address:**:**:**:**:**:**
Software variant:-
Boot loader:0.1.6-BT (Fri Sep 9 10:05:09 2016)

It's worth noting that I plugged the Smart Hub I initially received back in as the Technial Log had a lot more detail in it than the other one. I did perform a full factory reset too.

I also ran a speed test on speedtest.net and currently I'm around 27Mbps down and 5Mbps up.

Cheers

Will
0 Ratings