cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 11 of 62

Re: BT Infinity - Fair Usage Policy Throttling.

Thank you for missing my point entirely and using reductio ad abdurdum to make my argument seem illogical.

Lets go back to your water company. You say you can have theoritcally 1000 gallons a day deliverd to your house. Now, assuming that your water company feels, as BT do, that it is only fair to use 2% of this. This would mean you hit your "Fair Usage" cap on your water, not at 100 gallons, but at a mere 20 gallons.

Now I don't know enough about water supplies to comment on this, but lets for the sake of it say, thats more than good enough for a single man. This does his shower, evening wash and everything inbetween just fine.

Is it fair for this same policy to be adhered to by a family of 6? This usage would still be domestic, but thats 6 showers, 6 evening washes and 6 cups of tea instead of 1 every time. In short their usage would be around 6 times the single man, yet still stuck on 20 gallons a day. Is that fair?

What if instead of building a water slide, you simply had 4 cars to wash? (one per person in a 'grown up' 4 person family)

Let me remind you of my predicament and where I feel I stand.

You say you are an average user of BT infinity who uses ~80GB a month? Well actually, here is the thing, So do I!

My personal usage will be between 80 to 100GB, the 300GB FUP would rarely if ever be a problem for me on my own.

The problem arises because there are 3 other people in my household, who are all "average" users also. This leaves us with 75GB each. This does not become a problem until the end of the month. We are not a family trying to transfer 15TB in a 31 day month, but more like 350GB. Our usage is not out of the scope of what BT advertise their Infinity package for either.

We are not trying to run a business, or provide an internet connection to the isle of man through our single infinity connection. Merely 4 adults doing, probably, the same normal things anyone else does with their broadband. Online backup (if you arnt doing this, you really should by the way), Youtube, iPlayer etc and ofcourse online gaming (30% faster!).

BT should apply their FUP to only transfers at peak times. This would encourage heavy users to be responsible with their heavy usage. Downloading large files at night, for instance. This was common practice back in the 256k  broadband days and still is in my household, as it was very easy for even a small 10MB download to lock everyone else out if they were also trying to use the internet. Today this is less of a concern, with todays speeds in excess of 35Mbit its possible to download 10 or 15GB at peak times, and no one else in the household bats an eyelid. But it is responsible downloading none the less.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 12 of 62

thanks for the info..
I have no idea why BT forum bleeped my word.
Im pretty sure I wrote Man, Ive been away for sooo long..
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 62

VampyrByte

BT should apply their FUP to only transfers at peak times. This would encourage heavy users to be responsible with their heavy usage. Downloading large files at night, for instance.   

They do  the speed cap is at peak times  approx times are 5pm till midnight cap in place for thirty days after the 300gb limit is reached  the remaining time is at your normal download speed 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 62

What I mean is they should only count usage at peak times. Perhaps 100GB of peak time transfer a month would be fair.

Frankly I think its unfair that even as a responsible heavy user I have my internet capped to such an extreme degree at peak times, yet irresponsible users who transfer large files only at peak times get away with it.

Basically the throttling wont make a huge difference to the ammount I transfer in a month, but it will make a huge difference to the things I like to do at peak times, which are deliberatly bandwidth light. Like general web page viewing, forum posting, youtube etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 62

I'm not sure how much it adds to this discussion, but if you buy a new house, then it will have a water meter whether you want one or not. An increasing number of existing houses are being metered as well.

Once you have a meter, you pay for whatever your family uses. Arguments that a family of 6 will use more than a single person will get you nowhere - you pay per cubic metre.

We don't have pay-per-gigabyte broadband yet, though the 3 options for BT Broadband (2 for Infinity) sort-of come close.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 16 of 62

it's largely irrelevant what the FUP is, BT so heavily throttle all users on Infinity during peak time that it makes the service unusable anyway

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 17 of 62

@ectophile

Thats not quite what he ment about using water. Its more about what we use as a proportion of what can theoritcally be provided.

@andybird456

I've heard about that. Although my personal experience is that peak time speeds are very close to those of off-peak speeds, and still much faster than ADSL. Something that cannot be said about the 2up 2down throttled abortion of a service I will be getting for the next 30 days because BT think using more than 2% of what you pay for is unfair.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 18 of 62

I have not missed the point of your post I simply pointed out the basic illogicality of your position that you should be able to use as much as you want without restriction. That you have a household of 4 heavy users of bandwidth puts you in a minority as the average UK household size is 2.21. Many more households have one person why should you 4 get a service at the same cost? Would you expect Tesco to sell you food for 4 glutens at the price of food for a family of 1? Of course you would not. Why then should you expect to download 4 to 6 times the average?

BT set the fair usage limit at a point to hit the heaviest users without upsetting their main bulk of customers. I would guess they want to target the top 2 to 3%. That they apply the limit very bluntly is probably on purpose as they want to upset these users and get them to go elsewhere. They increased the limit to 300 Gb  as the previous limit hit too high a percentage it will increase again as more users get near the limit if nothing else changes but I think that we maybe nearing a change in the way the UK broadband market is priced.. 

It is interesting that none of BT's major competitors have entered the FTTC market yet and the smaller isps in the market all have higher prices and operate quite strict download limits. The wild card is Sky who have been buying market share in broadband as they do offer an unlimited service  on ADSL whether they can afford to when the average download speed is 30 meg rather than the current 3 meg is unknown but they are taking their time in introducing a FTTC product. 

The cost of back haul is becoming a major part of the isp's costs so perhaps the market will start to move to a metered service as the water companies have done and I will have to pay for my water feature and you for your heavy use of bandwidth. Until then I and most of BT's customers are subsidising your family so I welcome them limiting your activity.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 62

Why should a user on Infinity be capped anyway - Infinity was designed to deliver video content and allow users to download stuff quicker.

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not on Infinity with BT throttling. Since I moved to VDSL in our area I've gone from paltry 2mb 100gb capped throttled connection with BT to 40mb unthrottled uncapped connection with another company...

I can sit and watch youtube videos on my tv without any buffering, while pc's are streaming live radio and iplayer content....

BT need to remove these ridiculous caps and throttling...

@InfiniteChris, the reason being why the major isp's haven't gone FTTC is because of the pricing BT wholesale charge them, which is currently being looked into as it is more than what they charge BT.

Just because you might not use your connection to watch movies, iplayer, skyplayer or any other ondemand service, download games or play games online via pc, xbox, ps3 or wii then don't expect everyone else not too. Once you move to VDSL you are able to do exactly what BT and everyone else advertise the product is for, so why should they cap it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 62

The "fair usage" limits are just a sensible policy to keep the price of boadband down to something that the average domestic user is willing to pay. Connections to the internet are not free - they are expensive. BT has to pay for each connection. If BT tried to allow for everybody downloading 24/7, then they would have to pay so much that the broadband fees would be excessive. The only way to make it economically viable is to oversell their connectivity - combine several customers onto each internet link. If customers use the service sensibly, it all works and everybody gets a good speed. If a few people try to download hundreds of gigabytes a month, the speed everybody gets just gets slower and slower. BT's response is to monitor how much people use, and throttle the biggest users at peak times, so that everybody else gets a decent speed.
0 Ratings