cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
antinchester
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 30

Re: BT Infinity Fibre Broadband Keeps Dropping

Clutching at staws a little. The description of the problem is very similar, might be some partity between the two issues. 

0 Ratings
antinchester
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 30

Actually managed to get 12 hours of connectivity before it repeatedly dropped this morning and settled on 17megs from 50 megs over night.

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 09.12.34.png

0 Ratings
antinchester
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 30

Well. I've tried the quiet line test several times dialing 17070. It's been quiet each time.

This time I tried it at the moment the router dropped. The line is full of hissing, popping and cracking. After 20 seconds it goes quiet and the router reconnects.

I've tried this 6 times now all with same outcome. 

Hissing, popping and cracking on the line = dropped connection.

I've had 3 engineers come and check and none has solved the issue, and the line noise doesn't appear to be apparent when the engineer visits.

FYI, I've have the router plugged into a brand new master line socket, no extensions in the house and only a wired telephone connected to the telephone socket of the master line box.

Yes, I have tried disconnecting the phone, still drops the connection. 🙂

What are the next steps?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 30

The only way this is going to get fixed is by an engineer visit. The problem with intermittent faults like this is tracking down the location. It will be a corroded joint/wire somewhere.

antinchester
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 30

Well 48 hours since the last engineer visit and thus far the connection has been rock solid. Moment to reflect on that fact that I have been here before.

Having said that Engineer number 4 did say he replaced a corroded coupling.

This does seem to be a pattern that repeats itself on here, people with dropping connection getting multiple engineer visits.

Each time the engineer checks the line, runs the standard tests and reports everything is OK, however the central faults team detects a fault on the line and send out another engineer, EH? What is going on here?

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 26 of 30

Just as a matter of interest, did you inform the previous engineers that the line noise was intermittant or just that you BB kept dropping?

0 Ratings
antinchester
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 30

The previous quiet line tests were OK when I checked, so no. 

Should it not be a standard check. By the time the 2 or 3rd engineer visits for the same issue, shouldn't alarm bells ring?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 30

The very nature of intermittent issues means they’re difficult to pin down, as they don’t always manfiest when an engineer is on site, leading to multiple visits.

Openreach don’t have the resource to send an engineer to stay at the house for hours on end until the fault condition appears.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 30

@antinchester wrote:

Each time the engineer checks the line, runs the standard tests and reports everything is OK, however the central faults team detects a fault on the line and send out another engineer, EH? What is going on here?

Its extremely difficult to track down an intermittent fault, it may be present when the line is tested but not when the engineer arrives. Unfortunately, these days engineers aren't given limitless time and resources to try and track down an elusive fault.

0 Ratings
antinchester
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 30

Fair enough, and I do undertsand that, but I did tell them the problem was a dropping connection. According to the help desk it had been dropping at a rate of 58 times a week.

In heindsight checking all the joints was the correct course of action, otherwise the engineer leaves without fixing the problem and another engineer is sent to fix it, that's a far greater waste of resources.

0 Ratings