cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jblink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

BT Infinity - Gone!

BT fibre cable was installed close to me in December 2010.  I expressed interest via the web site and was told it would be available to my post code / number from February 2011.  Sure enough I checked some time after that and the web site showed it was available and I should have around 26 Meg download.  Now I'll not bore you with why, but I have not been in a position to switch back to BT (from Tiscali) until now, but regularly I have been monitoring potential speeds on both my lines (one BT which will not have the broadband as it is a business line and the other Tiscali / Talk Talk which will be switched back).  Most recently a couple of weeks ago.  Everthing normal over the time - noticed the increase from 26 to 35 down at the expense of 10 to 6 up which is no big deal.  even spoke with BT about the installation as the master would need to be moved (check my earlier posts - I did as I wondered if I had been imagining things - read on).  Now I an ready to "press the button"Smiley Happy

Smiley Mad  I went to the speed checker today to be told Infinity was not in my area!!  Again I'll not bore you with the details but I spent a very unhappy and frustrating hour on the phone to Mumbai being passed around from sales to technical, technical to domestic, domestic to business etc with everyone simply reading from a script or telling me the computer says "no".  Now I accept the possibility that for the last year the openreach availbility checker has been wrong and now they have corrected the error despite knowing fibre is within 50m of my house.  I suspect though that the error is now with the checker but frankly have no clue how to make contact with BT IN THE UK to talk to someone who can properly investigate.

So does anyone have any idea why the status for my numbers / post code may have changed or how I can contact someone at BT who can give me a definitive answer rather than reading from a script or computer screen?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
rickydg
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT Infinity - Gone!

Try messaging one of the mods on here. They seem to be able to get things done that india can't!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

Often when the cab is about to go ready the checker reports you can't get it. Keep checking in the next week or 2 and you might get a nice surprise 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

BT retail your supplier can only give the information they have been given by OPENREACH/BT WHOLESALE Who are responsible for the network
0 Ratings
jblink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Thanks, but my point is that for the last year everything has been saying I can already have Infinity!  The fibre was installed well over a year ago

0 Ratings
jblink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

@rickydg wrote:
Try messaging one of the mods on here. They seem to be able to get things done that india can't!

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I do that?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

@jblink wrote:

Thanks, but my point is that for the last year everything has been saying I can already have Infinity!  The fibre was installed well over a year ago

It is possible that all of the connections on your cabinet have been used which means until OR install more capacity you cannot order. The fibre cabinets have a maximum of 288 connections available.

0 Ratings
jblink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

@Infinitechris wrote:

@jblink wrote:

It is possible that all of the connections on your cabinet have been used which means until OR install more capacity you cannot order. The fibre cabinets have a maximum of 288 connections available.

Frankly I would doubt that, but it is a very valid point.  If this is the case, then wouldn't it be nice if BT actually could tell me that!  I would still like to find out the truth

0 Ratings
ypt
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

Hi

The link to the mods is http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Good Luck

Michael

0 Ratings
Highlighted
deathaxe
Expert
Message 10 of 18

The postcode checker would show that fibre was avaliable at all the postcodes that exchange serves when the exchange was upgraded and is frankly useless.

The number checker is the only definative answer as that checks aganist your cabinet.

There are a couple of reasons why you may not be able to order:

As somebody has already said thet cabinet may be full, especially if Openreach installed the smaller cabinet of 120 connections.

Or you are not connected to the closest cabinet, which can happen if the closest cabinet was full when your house was initally wired up.

Hopefully the mods can find out what is going on.

0 Ratings