Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jblink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 18

Re: BT Infinity - Gone!

@deathaxe wrote:

The postcode checker would show that fibre was avaliable at all the postcodes that exchange serves when the exchange was upgraded and is frankly useless.

The number checker is the only definative answer as that checks aganist your cabinet.

There are a couple of reasons why you may not be able to order:

As somebody has already said thet cabinet may be full, especially if Openreach installed the smaller cabinet of 120 connections.

Or you are not connected to the closest cabinet, which can happen if the closest cabinet was full when your house was initally wired up.

Hopefully the mods can find out what is going on.

Cheers for this.  I was using the number checker as although the line with broadband is not BT, my other line is.  Ironically I have just had an email from Talk Talk (tiscali) saying I can have their superfast BB from April!  For the past many months TT showed the same download speed as BT (although until recently they only offered 2 meg up).  I do appreciate the data is the same openreach information explaining why both said yesterday Infinity / "superfast" was not available.  It may be the cabinet is full, but it would be so nice for someone at BT to explain that and not read from a script assuming I am a moron who has been mistaken for the past months

0 Ratings
dasava
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 18

Ive heard of because of work being done in roughly 73 of the live exchanges across the UK, on the checkers it appears that no FTTC is available from these exchanges at the moment, even though it is. What you need to do is speak to Openreach, find out if you are connected to one of these exchanges which are currently being upgraded, which I suspect that is, and if so you CAN have Infinity, but you may have to be patient
0 Ratings
jblink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 18

@dasava wrote:
Ive heard of because of work being done in roughly 73 of the live exchanges across the UK, on the checkers it appears that no FTTC is available from these exchanges at the moment, even though it is. What you need to do is speak to Openreach, find out if you are connected to one of these exchanges which are currently being upgraded, which I suspect that is, and if so you CAN have Infinity, but you may have to be patient

Thanks.  really good information.  Openreach don't seem that easy to contact but will try tomorrow.  However what you say does make sense in explaining what has happened.  Can't mark as a solution to my problem but take it as an honourary oneSmiley Happy

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 14 of 18

@dasava wrote:

Customers cannot contact Openreach directly, they only deal with ISP's

0 Ratings
jblink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 18

well I have tried contacting openreach via their "report damage" web form - well it could be damage!.  No response.  Ok you are supposed to only talk to your ISP, but if you are querying the information openreach give to the ISPs.....?

I have tried contacting the mods on this forum.  No response.

For a communications company I have to say BT's ease of communicating is dire.  I live in fear of having to phone Mumbai as you take forever to get through endless menus and options, only to talk to a very nice and professional person reading from a computer screen who cannot handle any query outside the box.  the computer says "no"  Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
rickydg
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 18

The mods can take up to 72 hours to make first contact with you. Sometimes you just have to persevere! There are tales on here of people trying and trying and eventually getting through to someone in india who goes the extra mile to sort it out for you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Ratings
Alan63
Expert
Message 17 of 18

Why not place that order ? it will fail if there is not service avaiable - but it will go through it can. At the time i placed my order for infinity my exchange was still shown as 2 or 3 months away from being enabled. 

I placed the order online - Someone called me back and arranged the finer details and dates. all sorted within 20 days!

worth a try ??

0 Ratings
jblink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 18

ok I am now getting very frustrated!

A reminder of my original post: FTTC was laid in my area in Dec 2010 and indeed I have a copy of the Openreach availability PDF from April stating my exchange was in the NOW category.  During last year I was checking my BT line to my house and sure enough it was giving me 26 meg then 35 meg dounload speeds.  A couple of weeks ago I did the check prior to placing the order and was told "not available", despite still being in the OR "now" list.  However, I was told it would be available from 6th April.  Spoke to sales / customer services on 2nd who confirmed this and that I should call back today, after Easter.  Just done so to be told "not in my area yet".  Indeed the number checker only says I can get std ADSL speed.

So what is happening?  Available all last uear then suddenly not, then it is and now it is not!!

0 Ratings