cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Infinity HH5 disconnects & won't re-connect unless rebooted.

Hi, for the past week I've woken up almost every morning and the HH5 status is orange, also with the orange "b" broadband flashing.  I can only get the line up & running again by re-powering or recycling.  Similar story when I come home from work most days, orange lights on and needs a manual reset.  When the line is up & running, it's great with no problems, but of course it drops out overnight &/or during the day and then stays down until manually reset.

Now I've phoned up the BT customer services in the far east (presumably) and am getting nowhere other than thoroughly infuriated.  Apparantely it's totally acceptable for the line to drop out a few times a day, which I accept, but not if the line doesn't come back up without me having to manually reset the HH5.  All line tests have been clear, which I'm not surprised at because it's working at nearly 40Mps when they're testing it.

Has anyone got any idea what may be causing this and what I can do to fix it.  It feels as if the router is going kaput, but I don't have a substitute item to test it with.

Any help gratefully received.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Infinity HH5 disconnects & won't re-connect unless rebooted.

Hi Dougal,

Sounds very similar to my problem, I just downgraded today as sick of paying premium prices for substandard service.

My line disconnects every time it rains, obviously a short somewhere but each time I mentioned it to the Far Eastern tech he says we can send someone out but if they find nothing it will cost you £100 for his time. WHAT A GREAT PLOY ! Just threaten the customer to make them withdraw their complaint !

So as I'm pretty sure under those circumstances the tech isn't going to care too much if he finds an annoying intermittent fault which only appears when it rains, I decided just to downgrade and be satisfied with paying half the price for the **bleep**ty service.

Does it happen to you during rain or is it more random ? mine is obviously a short somewhere when it rains.

Regards, Gordon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

@iamgordon

This has been covered before but as you have just joined

you will be advised that if you get engineer visit and the problem is found to be with your. Setup or internal wiring then you will be charged £129.99. If engineer does not find a problem or he finds a problem which is outside your home then there is no charge

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 5

Thanks imjolly, good to know, that certainly wasn't how it was explained by the tech on the phone. Guess it saves him filling out too many forms. Rained all day yesterday and most of today so getting quite annoyed now hence the call to downgrade a few hours ago. Probably dropped out about 10 times and often lasts for maybe 5 to 10 minutes at a time, not just a quick reconnect.

Regards,
Gordon.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

My disconnection doesn't appear to be weather related, it certainly doesn't just drop when it's been raining.  Apart from yesterday, it's dropped out every day in the past week.  If it was a damp/water issue, I wouldn't expect the line to be absolutely perfect when it's up and running and I would also expect the router to pick itself back up rather than me having to physically reboot it.  I wouldn't be overly bothered if it dropped out 3 or 4 times in a day for a minute or so, but the main issue here is that it disconnects and then that's it until a manual recycle.

I don't really have much internal wiring, the cable comes straight into the house, into a small  BT Openreach white box which then has one cable going straight into the router and the other into my one and only phone.

If I don't have any joy with BT CService (& it's been far from encouraging thus far), I may try using the original ECI modem which was originally supplied and bypass the HH5 modem to see whether that helps and offer some proof that it's the HH5 which is at fault.

Anybody else have any better ideas?

0 Ratings