Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

BT Infinity Install Line errors

Hello, wondering if someone can help us with this:-

BT engineer came around today to install Infinity. We currently have/had BE there broadband with no issues on the line.

He connected it all up but then found there were 1600 errors on the line. He suggested we would have to call BT to raise a fault as he couldn't do it, and once an engineer had come out to fix the fault a BT Infinity engineer could come out to install Infinity again.

When we called the faults department they said there were no faults on the line, so didn't know what to do. They are checking internally, but so far they can't do anything as no fault gets registered on the line. Is there another way we should be raising this fault?

The BT engineer kindly connected the old bebox equipment back up at the green cabinet and within the house, and we now have Internet, but i'm worried the line will be cut off the next few days considering BT have already used the MAC address. I still have a few weeks left on the Bethere contract, so is there a way we can stop them cancelling it?

Advice appreciated please. We were hoping the install process would be straightforward but is starting to turn into a nightmare.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Infinity Install Line errors

See this is what anoys me about the BT Retail and Open Reach set up, it IS Open Reach that set up Infinity and it IS also Open Reach which fix and maintain the cables/street cabs etc so WHY can't the Open Reach engineer who comes to fit Infinity call his/her manager/deparment head and arrange a telephone engineer to fix the line faults?

Why do they have to ring the Retail side of it only to be told in a well scripted way SORRY YOU HAVE NO FAULTS ???

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 13

You could contact BT requesting help and refer back to this thread.

Contact forms are obtained by clicking on one of the forum mods names.

Form.- http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

The Forum Mods are very helpful and you will get a reply, however it does take around 72 hours due their workload.

I hope you get a solution soon.

Good Luck.

Edit Also I agree with Mikey this Openreach/BTretail set up isn't the most efficient way to do business.

Imho the engineer should have owned the problem and obtained the resources to get a resolution to supply the customer with the service they bought/expected.

Not just handing the installation problem back to the poor old customer.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 13

mikey_b,

I agree 100% with what you say, I just understand how BT get into this mess all the time, As they are the same Company

I know some are going to say they are not :- 

British Telecommunications plc (BT) is a wholly owned subsidiary of BT Group plc and encompasses virtually all businesses and assets of the BT Group.

have a look on here http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Another-day-another-problem/td-p/261821/page/5 

Same thing CS saying 1 thing and not knowing about the faults on the cab, It's all above me that they seem to work against each other and thats no way to run a company.

iechyd da 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

I agree, I can understand the Retail side of things having a different result when carrying out a line check as they are not "on site" like the Open Reach engineer is.  

What I find strange is that the Infinity engineer has to refer the customer back to the Retail side to get a line engineer out to fix the problems ! surely if Open Reach operate as a seperate company then they should have control over how/when a line/service is fixed or fitted and not have to refer to BT Retail...would the same thing happen if it was a Sky account? would they refer the fault as well?, not bagging down on BT here just questioning the operations/procedures of Open Reach side

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

An update:- not getting much better unfortunately.

Our line is totally dead today. No phone line, no internet, nothing. We called BT faults and they didn't understand why this was happening - they actually didn't even have any records of our lengthy conversations yesterday, and treated this as a brand new issue! the only difference between yesterday and today is that today we were talking to a call centre in the UK, and they did say that sometimes the systems they use can be different.

They told us that an engineer might have been working on our line and that it might be up within 3 days. We also got a text from BT Openreach saying they will come on install Infinity on the 21st of September now.

I am really unsure what to do now (will put some details in that link - thanks). We're usually quite patient but this could not have happened at a worst time. My wife is due to give birth on the 20th of September, and our mobile signal is quite patchy in the house, so with no phone line we are quite disadvantaged.

I wish we hadn't tried to get Infinity now, and I cannot believe different parts of BT don't talk to each other.

Can someone help us at least get our phone line back, and maybe connected to our old internet provider till this gets resolved? We don't want to be a pain, but I am worried.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Am getting no joy from BT on this so have raised a call with OFCOM. They are hopefully going to follow up with BT about this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

If you ask to be put through to cancellations they will send you through to the call centre in Scotland 9 times out of 10 they can sort your issue out for you 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Thanks, I called cancellations. Lady was very polite but not much BT could do as a company. I found out more information about what has happened - apparently something was changed on the exchange which has caused our phone+broadband service to be disconnected. They have a turnarount time of 4 days to look into it. Initially she was suggesting that maybe our line was old and it was something on our street, but I informed her that they had installed a brand new BT line 2 years, and that couldn't really be the case. It was then she put me on hold for a while and talked to the faults team. There is no guarantee it will be fixed within those 4 days either.

I have gone ahead and cancelled the BT Infinity package as this is a really bad time for us to be going through this hassle. I am hoping that the BT engineer can get the line back to what it was and we can get our old broadband service back. Failing that I will be cancelling the BT phone line and going with Virgin for phone + broadband.

I can't believe a company can treat it's customers like this. Once all this is over I will be adding more info to my Ofcom complaint and asking them to follow up on it.

That'll teach me for wanting faster broadband!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Still no phone line or internet on our phone line, and BT still haven't got an idea when this is going to be fixed.

BT have forwarded calls to our home line number to my wife's mobile for now.

I spoke to my previous broadband providor (be) and they are also trying to help us get our line back up. They were actually quite helpful and forthcoming in trying to get this resolved, and told me they are also going to have the fiber broadband option in the new year. I think they also rely on BT to get the line fixed, so still have to wait for the faults department to do their thing.

Anyway, I just hope we can get back to how things were before all this started.

0 Ratings