cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rationalzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 20

BT Infinity - Installation Log

This is an installation log for those of you that are waiting for their new installation of Infinity. This will be my first time using the HomeHub and any kind of fibreoptic so this is a new experience for me.

I'll update this log as an when things happen, good or bad. Please keep your negitive comments regarding the service away from this thread, as its primarily for people who are looking to see what happens when you signup to the product.

HomeHub arrives via Royal Mail on the expected date. Its tracked (via the royalmail website) but doesn't require a signiture, very handy.

Note that the postman is instructed to hide the box out of sight. It was left under my door mat, I lol'd when I arrived home to find the box (luckily, my door is inside corridor)

Box arrived in a clear plastic wrapper and the art work was clearly visable.

The warning advising that opening the box would cause mayhem, this was duly ignored.

This is what the box contained.

HomeHub2 with dust sheet thing.

Cables, mains adapter, installation CD and wireless settings card.

On Monday, hopefully the engineer will come down and change my face plate etc. I'll post pictures of the job he does with the wiring.

Until then, I hope this helps with anyone that is wondering about the installation process, so far.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I helped, then consider clicking the star to the left
19 REPLIES 19
Detailz
Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT Infinity - Installation Log

nice one mate, lets hope my bt installation happens sometime this century.

0 Ratings
Blackers800
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

Good idea

But what about what you did to get to this point?  Checking your line etc..  How you chose what package vs. your usual data consumption rate? 

0 Ratings
rationalzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 20

Its an idea, but it really isn't that amazing. Ive been waiting for Infinity for a while now but forgot about it. Checked availability for the off chance, and it was enabled. Next day asked for my MAC from my previous ISP and changed over to BT. Just waiting for activation now!
0 Ratings
bloto21
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

To be honest I dont know why they change whole master socket just enough will be to have VDSL filter rated at 30MHz for VDSL2 needs. 🙂

bt socket - upload speed stuck at 5.5 / 37.5
independent filter 30MHz with old master socket - 9.0Mb upload./ 39 down

?????? 😉

0 Ratings
lmosley
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 20

Hmm thats bizzare, what faceplate filter did you change it to?

0 Ratings
rationalzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

Just got my phone call from the BT Engineer, he will be here in 20 minutes!
0 Ratings
rationalzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 20

Right, engineer arrived and we had a chat about how I want the cable routing. I went for the easy option of routing from the entry hallway, across the skirting board and under the door crack and across the wall to the living room.

He installed an Oscillator into the master socket and then went to the Cab to do something. Heres the gear he left behind.

Felt sorry for him as it was raining pretty bad over here and one of his umbrella's blew away lol.

After some thinking, he thought it would look better if we went through the wall of the cloak room and installed the datakit on the other side of the wall. Which was great, it was amazing he even recommeneded it as it wasn't a straightforward route!

Hopefully this image describes it better. (You can see the thick red line run across the skirting board, and the the dotted red line indicates the cable behind the wall in the cloak room) Then you can see the same from the other wall. The actual cable is very thin and white - he neatly cable clips it to the wall.

All is connected and here is the new Faceplate and setup.

And heres my initial speedtest on day one at time of this post.

I'll see how it goes later aswell.

Overall, it was a pleasent experience. The engineer was enthusiastic and eager to makesure my cable routing was tidy. (maybe that cuppa tea helped!). Overall it took around 1.5hrs and he even took all his rubbish with him.

I actually took the opportunity to ask him a few questions while he was here.

• The rollout is definatly profit based and ability to install. Even my engineer didn't have fibre in his area yet as its not viable. Remember it is profit based, not based on who needs it most. (dont argue about this please)
  • It can take 48hrs for your speed to get to max (dependent) when the router is turned off and on again.
  • If you are experiencing low speeds and you turn off your router regularly then you have probably been put on a low profile. Call BT and MAKE them understand is probably not the HUB and they will increase the profile.

• You can turn off the HomeHub at night if needed as it won't effect your linestats. Makesure you leave the Vdsl modem on 24/7 though.
  • If you go on holiday you can turn the modem off. Its only when you turn it on and off, and on and off that causes the exchange to think you are erroring.

I hope this log helps those of you thinking of getting it installed!

rationalzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 20

Ok another speed test.

Also went out an about to Test BT OpenZone and BT Fon - working great on my IpodTouch and the BT FON App.

0 Ratings
hopeless
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Thanks for taking the time to produce this the installation log :thumb: Your experience seems very straightforward but my switch back to BT has been anything but as good.

My home hub arrived last Thursday although I didn't open it as instructed (I may do now...). My instal date is tomorrow morning but I had a call from the mod team here, to say that the appointment was cancelled! The 'track my order' still says everything is fine however. I'm hoping I'll get another call for an update but I need to stay in just in case (I'm confused).

Fingers and toes crossed.

0 Ratings