Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carlhunt3r
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

BT Infinity Installation tomorrow - quick question

Hi Everoyone 

I'm finally getting my BT Infinity installed tomorrow after a very annoying and complicated process (thats a story for another day) but I've got a quick question.

I've been reading online and the BT Infinity modem has to be installed to the master socket. My house was only built maybe 9 months ago, and does not have an internal master socket. We've got one of those gray external NTE boxes, which lives directly outside my front door. To my confusion, the developer has decided that my three bed semi requires EIGHT BT sockets in the house (diagram below) 

How will the engineer handle this? 

In the future, I'm wanting to ethernet the house up, and will be considering the understair cuboard as the main location for all wires to terminate and to locate future home servers, so would he put my master socket there? Maybe it would be better to put the master socket where the current sky router lives?

Any advice guys/girls?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Cryin5freeman
Contributor
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT Infinity Installation tomorrow - quick question

I don't think you required to install the BT modem on to the master socket. Only if you want the max. speed from your line.... 

For future proof home LAN. You can use a homeplug, and the existing BT sockets can be coverted to 100Mb LAN cat5 connections...

0 Ratings
jimmehr
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 19

Wow, 8 phone sockets seems very excessive, Im sure the openreach engineer should be able to put a new where you want it as they can normally add a data extension up to 30 meters from the master, which in your case is an external one.
Just make sure he has plenty of space to get in the cupboard under the stairs.

0 Ratings
gm8jip
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

The master socket will be replaced with a new one which will allow the modem to operate to give you Infinity.You will have to provide a mains socket to power the modem and also the router.If you disconnect the rest of the sockets and wire them for CAT5 as described earlier then you can get up to 4 LAN connections from the router.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Graeme.

0 Ratings
carlhunt3r
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

That's for all your replies guys, I think I'll let him convert the socket in the living room to our new master socket, the developers said it was first on the loop so hopefully its acceptable!

Gm8jip/cryin5freeman, how would I go about converting the other not required phone points to network ports? I never thought if utilising them until you guys mentioned it!
0 Ratings
gm8jip
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

Give the BT engineer coffee and and a bacon roll ! You will need to provide the sockets (or as him nicely) and he might be able to convert your telephone sockets.Just ask him as the BT guys are really friendly.

My engineer turned out to be a Vulcan Bomber enthusiast and I gave him the information in joining our club!

Good luck for tomorrow.

Graeme.

0 Ratings
carlhunt3r
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Cheers Graeme! Funnily enough, I bought some bacon today haha. Been looking online, and can't see much about converting phone points into network points. I'll ask the feller when he turns up tomorrow, extract all the knowledge I can 🙂

0 Ratings
jackhandy
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

I shouldn't hold your breath for tomorrow (Not that I'm an old Cynic, or anything):

Mine should have been installed last Friday, but the dozy beggars FORGOT to transfer my line back to BT, so the engineers couldn't do the business.

I waited in all day, lost work through it, & no-one even bothered to let me know they weren't coming. Took a couple of hours on chat & phone to India to get another appointment - In 9 DAYS time!

If they beggar me about again, I'll be cancelling & going to the small claims court for the loss of earnings.

Pete

0 Ratings
carlhunt3r
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Pete, they were supposed to come on the 10th, but was cancelled. Then supposed to come on friday gone, and no one turned up (even though an engineer was at my cabinet during the day) so fingers crossed they turn up. If not, I'll go off it

(that was the bit in my original post about saving the rest of the story for another day!!)
0 Ratings
jackhandy
Beginner
Message 10 of 19

All the best for tomorrow, then - You deserve it!
0 Ratings