cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChipRivers
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

BT Infinity Installation

I have recently placed an order to upgrade to BT Infinity which will be installed late in January.  I have been giving consideration to the placement of the new equipment to ensure maximum performance whilst maintaining the convenience of connection to other equipment such as my wireless printer and Vodafone Sure Signal.

My BT master socket is the cupboard under the stairs; there is power sockets in this location so if necessary I can have the equipment all fitted here but it would not be as easy to connect my extra equipment to the Home Hub.

I currently have my Home Hub plugged into an extension socket in my front room where I also have my printer and VSS connected.

Ideally I would like to keep my HH in the same location in the front room; can this be done without having to have the free 'upto 30m cabling' running around skirting etc?  Can the engineer make use of the existing extension socket and if so will this effect by infinity speed?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Infinity Installation

If you arent already getting the full speed at the master socket, any extensions you have for the broadband will slow your speed down. They should be able to use your existing extension for infinity with no problems.

0 Ratings
Ogier
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

If I may suggest.

Would it not be more prudent if the modem is attached "at source" so to speak, then the HH can be routed via the Network cable from the modem?

Just a thought 

Good luck anyhow

Ogier

0 Ratings
ChipRivers
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Thanks for the suggestion, not sure I know what you mean though Smiley Indifferent

Do you mean put the new Open Reach Infinity modem in the cupboard under the stairs where the master socket is, and then use CAT5 cables to run to the HH3 in the front room where I currently have the HH2?

My only problem with this is the visibility of the CAT5 cable.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 15

@ChipRivers wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, not sure I know what you mean though Smiley Indifferent

Do you mean put the new Open Reach Infinity modem in the cupboard under the stairs where the master socket is, and then use CAT5 cables to run to the HH3 in the front room where I currently have the HH2?

My only problem with this is the visibility of the CAT5 cable.

You could always have both the modem and the HH3 in the cupboard and connect to them using homeplugs. That way no additional wiring is required.

0 Ratings
ChipRivers
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

By 'homeplugs' do you mean the powerline adaptors like what I use for my BTVision?

If so, do these only work in pairs or can I have several devices with additional adaptors connected to the single source adaptor?

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 15

@ChipRivers wrote:

By 'homeplugs' do you mean the powerline adaptors like what I use for my BTVision?

If so, do these only work in pairs or can I have several devices with additional adaptors connected to the single source adaptor?

Yes, BT like to call them powerline adaptors, but in fact they are called homeplugs.

You can have as many of them as you want. I have seen some setups where over 30 of them have been used.

It would be better to get them from a single source.

0 Ratings
ChipRivers
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

So it sounds like putting both the modem and hh in the cupboard and using homeplugs will be the best solution to maximise my download speed.

My only other consideration is how much effect on my wirless signal strength will there be shutting the HH away in the cupbaord under the stairs?  

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 15

@ChipRivers wrote:

So it sounds like putting both the modem and hh in the cupboard and using homeplugs will be the best solution to maximise my download speed.

My only other consideration is how much effect on my wirless signal strength will there be shutting the HH away in the cupbaord under the stairs?  

You could always get a homeplug wireless adapter: http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/100_dlan-500-av-wireless_starter-kit_product-presentation_1.html?l=...

This will enable you to use wireless without loosing your singal because your homehub is in the cuboard

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 15

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@ChipRivers wrote:

Yes, BT like to call them powerline adaptors, but in fact they are called homeplugs.

You can have as many of them as you want. I have seen some setups where over 30 of them have been used.

It would be better to get them from a single source.

Not really true, as some companys market them as powerline adaptors.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings