Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quaffa
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT Infinity: Is a Home Hub required?

Go to solution

Hi,

I was cold-called the other day by an BT Infinity salesman, and when he offered me a fibre optic service at no extra charge I naturally found myself accepting his offer.

But since his call I've been wondering whether I will still be able to use my Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station wireless router, or would I be forced to use the new Home Hub they're sending me?

I currently have the broadband cable that plugs into my main telephone socket connected to a Vigor 120 ADSL modem, and that is then connected to my Apple wireless router. (The Apple router does not have it's own modem, hence the 'two-stage' set up.)

Will the Infinity installer just be able to replace my Vigor ADSL modem with the 'new modem' the salesman referred to, (he said it was seperate from the Hub), so that that can then be connected to my Apple wireless router?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Infinity: Is a Home Hub required?

Go to solution

Infinity uses 2 items ...

A vdsl modem connected to the NTE ...

And a special hub that supports vdsl ethernet over WAN and connects to the vdsl modem ...

No other products are supported by BT ...

That's not to say you can't use them , if you have the expertise to set them up, and they have the correct

specification.

0 Ratings
jjgraphics
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi,

Let the engineer set up the new HH and prove all is working (you can use an Ethernet cable to a convenient Mac to test to avoid having to res-set any wireless settings) and then when you are happy, remove the HH and put your Airport Extreme Base Station in its place.

The new HH is effectively a "cable router"  and does not have a modem like the Airport Extreme Base Station. The VDSL modem for Infinity is the "new modem" the salesman talked about and connects to the HH, and the APE Base Station when you change over, with an Ethernet cable just like the Vigor.

Goes like a train for me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
quaffa
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks JJ; that was just the reassurance that I needed. Smiley Happy

Interesting to see that the new HH has no modem of it's own, 'like the AEBS'...

0 Ratings
CJ2020
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Yes, I got my Time Capsule (Airport device with storage) to work effortlessly when purchased BT Infinity by swopping it with the BT HH.

Works seamlessly and no re-calibration of existing network appliances,printers etc,.

What I'd like to know is there way of monitoring the BT Infinity for "usage" and other protocols via a web browser,as there are using the BT HomeHub?

E.g. can I log into a http address to access my data consumption and security setups?
0 Ratings