cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mackemmattsafc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

BT Infinity Issues - Slower than standard broadband?????

Go to solution

Man Sad

Can anyone help or give me some assurances that things will improve?

I have been with BT since 25th Feb on an infinity line that tests at 38Mbps downstream.  My old broadband connection was at a minimum of about 5.8Mbps.  Why is it then that my brand new, fibre optic, all singing , all dancing, more expensive BT Infinity connection is only giving me 2Mbps?!?!?!

This speed was checked with BT's own speed tester, my MAC is on a wired connection to the hub and the test was carried out at an off peak time (11.20am on a Wednesday) and yet, I could get a faster connection with a piece of string and 2 **bleep** cups!

Please, please, please tell me this is a blip and something that can be easily sorted by calling someone at BT?  If so, please can someone let me have a number to call as the tech services guy I just spoke to seemed to think that 2 Mbps on an Infinity connection was good!!!

Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

Cheers.

Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT Infinity Issues - Slower than standard broadband?????

Go to solution

what sort of connection speed did you have when the engineer was at your home installing the equipment?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mackemmattsafc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

on his line test (direct into the socket) he got 33.2Mbps and on a on-linee speed test on the MAC I got 26.9Mbps!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

is it possible for you to run btpeedtester and post the results?  at least we know the connection to your home was ok when the engineer was there

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mackemmattsafc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

have tried to run another one (the muppet at BT technical support asked me to run one about 2 hours ago) and I got the following message:

null

You appear to be logged in as bthomehub@btbroadband.com. In order to run the next test you must login as speedtest@speedtest_domain.

Please wait while you are redirected..

Any ideas how to rectify this on a MAC???

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

is that using this  http://speedtester.bt.com/

0 Ratings
mackemmattsafc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Yeah.

I shut down and re started the browser and then the MAC and it has now let me do it!

Results are:

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
3281 Kbps

0 Kbps38717 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
> Download speedachieved during the test was - 3281 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-38717 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
1582 Kbps

0 Kbps2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1582 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2000 Kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.

Any suggestions???

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

well you have a 38mb connection (green with envy) but your throughput/download is only 3.2mb.  check your exchange here for problems  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

if there are no problems shown then you need mod assistance.  just fill this out  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

mackemmattsafc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

have checked the exchanges and they are all clear so will fire off the form and keep my fingers crossed that I haven't wasted a lot of time and money by moving to BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

your speed will be sorted and you will have a download the envy of the majority on the forum membersSmiley Wink

0 Ratings