Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

BT Infinity - New Install - Download Speed

Hello,

Thank you all in advance for you help.

I have recently upgraded to BT Infinity 2 (Option 2), and was immediately impressed with the download speeds. I was achieving 60Mbit/s on the 77MBit/s IP profile, which equates to around 6.5MB/s download rate; all achieved wirelessly. After changing the wireless passwords, the download speed has drop spectacularly to approximately 15 MBit/s, and seems to be fluctuating between 10 and 15, and the IP profile remains at 77.

I am assuming (or hoping) that this is related to the DLM stabilisation period. I am also assuming that changing the wireless WPA password and subsequent decrease in download speed was a coincidence. I actually restarted the router, then a factory reset back to the original password, but it made no difference to the download speed.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

BT.png

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Infinity - New Install - Download Speed

Doesn't look like a profile issue, it is still high.

Maybe you made an error when changing wireless passwords, and are now  connected to something else, or to your router via btfon?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 13

You are using WPA2 for encryption and changed nothing else?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

have you checked your speed using a wired connection
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Cheers for the replies.

I can confirm that the connection is definitely to the correct homehub, and that I am using WPA2 encryption, Wireless N. I have also connected via an ethernet cable (cat5) and the issue remains.

Thankfully, the connection has risen back up to 45MBit/s out of a 77Mbit/s IP profile. Would you consider this as acceptable? Or if not, what would you consider as acceptable?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 13

as long as the profile is high its fine
are you saying the wifi connection is now 45 or the wired connection?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 13

Via wireless this is fine as there are so many factors that can affect speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

That's good to hear. Both wireless and wired connections are almost identical in terms of speeds achieved. The 45 Mbit/s out of 77Mbit/s IP profile is reasonably accetable to me. This equates to 3.5-4MB/s download speed, which is good.

Just a quick question, for a wired connect, what would you consider as the minimum acceptable speed out of a 77Mbit/s IP profile? Also, it seems as though there is some controversy about this 10 day stabilisation period.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 13

i think openreach have a minimum acceptable of 16mbit/s below which you can cancel without penalty but they dont specify what you may think is acceptable and you can raise a fault if you feel the speeds are low
the docs i have seen for dlm state that for the first day your profile is set to max then on the second day dlm comes on and reduces your speed if instability is detected
dlm stays on all the time and raises and lowers your speed depending on the stability it monitors

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

On a wired connection I would expect something near the IP Profile
0 Ratings