cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

BT Infinity New User - Low Speeds

Hi,

I had Unlimited BT Infinity 2 broadband installed last week which is costing £26 per month.  I opted to pay the higher price for the better speeds (up to 76Mbps instead of 38Mbps) and whilst I wasn't expecting to acheive 76Mpbs download speeds, I was informed that I would acheive the speeds below:

Your broadband speed

We estimate your download speed will be: 44.9Mb

We estimate your upload speed will be: 8Mb

When the engineer installed the service, he informed me that the speeds were a bit low at the moment (around 20Mb down) but that it was because there is some work being done on the local exchange and some of the power had been turned off which reduces it but that after a few days it will go back up to the estimated speeds I was quoted. 

I'm still only acheiving between 20Mb-25Mb download speeds however and it's been several days now.  Is there anything that can be done to improve the speeds?  If not, I would like to reduce the package to the cheaper option since these speeds are still way within those advertised with BT Infinity 1 and it's £11 saving per month.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Infinity New User - Low Speeds

Same happened to me, still trying to sort. My estimate was 56mb down, I was getting more than this to start with now its dropped to 44mb on a wired connection at off peak times. I think I will change to infinity 1 and save some money. I was getting over 50mb down on a wireless connection, now only sometimes around 12 at peak times. BT advertise speeds to attract you, but in reality you will never achieve them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

If there has been work carried out on your line then the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) will be reducing your speed because it will have seen it as a fault. If the work is now finished the DLM will slowly increase your speed to the best speed your line can support. This can however take  three or more weeks. If there is no improvement after three weeks there may be a further fault that requires investigation. 

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

I was getting 37Mb with just infinity then my line went out since reconnection I get less than 8 Mb
0 Ratings