cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hiltonsteve
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Infinity - New install - Speed drop - Solved!

Just thought that after lurking around these forums for a while that I would give something back that people may find useful!

On Monday I had BT Infinty installed, the engineer came round as arranged, did his bit at the green box which is only at the end of our street then came round to the house and fitted the modem. Must say that (Dave!) did a really good job, moved the data socket with some very neat wiring then checked the line speed. He said that being as close to the green box as we are that we should get the full 40meg, did his tests and this was confirmed - 40 meg down - 10 meg up.

He then plugged in the BT Home Hub 3 V2 and switched it on, the lights came on after which I pulled out my laptop and connected using wireless. First thing that I did was a speedtest using speedtest.net (http://speedtest.net/) and got the result that both myself and the engineer had been expecting - 38meg down and just under 10 meg up. Happy days!!

Now I have two lads one of which hammers the internet constantly and the other is on it when he is not playing football which is why I went for the Infinty upgrade, so in total we have 4 people using the following devices that need to use the internet -

Wireless -

2 x PC's using 11g

1 x PC using 11n

2 x laptops using 11g

1 x Ipad using 11n

2 x Itouch's using 11g

2 x Iphones using 11g

2 x Xbox's using 11g

1 x Apple TV using 11n

Wired -

1 x PS3

Quite a few when you add them up! Obviously not all will be used at the same time though...

Now... all was fine for the first day then I noticed the speed slowly dropping , did a speedtest again yesterday (4 days later) and we were getting 2-4 meg down and 8 meg up! Faster upload than download... seemed a bit odd...

So I had a hunt round on this forum and came up with a solution based on a few different threads, put them all together and came up with the following...

1 - Moved the BT Inifinty modem from sitting flat on the window sill to a wall mounted position, it was getting very warm sitting flat and looking at the vents on the side and front it did make sense to fix it vertically to let the heat to escape more efficiently. Once i did this then the modem started to run much cooler within 10-15 mins. Not sure if this will effect performance but it may make it live longer!

2 - Unplugged the Home Hub 3, wrapped the wires around it, opened the window which was quite close and threw it out. I then pulled out my trusty Netgear WNDR3400 router. I plugged it into my laptop to set it up first of all, this meant doing the following -

a) Putting the router back to the factory default settings.

b ) Connecting it to the Infinty modem using the RJ45 cable.

c) Running the smart setup wizard on the netgear router interface which detected that it was a PPOE connection and set the relevant settings in the router, it asked for a username which I used 'bthomehub@btinternet.com'. Saved the settings and then rebooted the modem then the router.

d) Once rebooted the internet light on the front of the router came on telling me that I was connected to the internet.

e) Disconnected the RJ45 cable from my laptop and connected the router using wireless.

Whole process took about 10 mins!

I then did a speed test again using speedtest.net and the speed was back up to 40 meg down and 10 meg up. Happy days again!

It has now been configured like this for the last 24 hours and has shown no drop it performance as when I was using the BT Home Hub 3, time will tell if it starts to degrade but at the moment everything looks stable. This morning I did a test download of a 2 gig file and it downloaded in around 8-10 mins which seems about right.

My conclusion, (like I said, 'MY CONCLUSION'!), the BT Home Hub 3 is just not up to the job, looks nice and easy use but very few features on it that I think are essential for serious users. The Netgear WNDR3400 which I have swapped it for is a simultaneous dual band router which means it uses the 11g and 11n bands at the same time and handles the traffic much better than the HH3. Not sure on the full spec of the HH3 but to be honest I am not to bothered as it is now sitting on my front lawn looking a bit sorry for itself...

I will update this thread over the next week and let you know how the Netgear performs over time but fingers crossed it should be sorted now.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Infinity - New install - Speed drop - Solved!

The HH3 is nothing more than a bog standard router for the masses. Any serious networking requirements need your own router.

0 Ratings
hiltonsteve
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thought that the HH3 was pretty basic when I first saw it, didnt hold too much hope for it.

Just seems as if it cant handle much wireless traffic and gets 'clogged' up. It seemed as if it was fine when it was first booted up then slowly degraded after more devices had been connected to it. After a day it was showing a significant drop in speed after a few devices had been connected even though when i did a speedtest my PC was the only device connected up.

From my experience I think the HH3 may be ok if you are only using 1 or 2 wireless devices, if you will be using more then I would seriously consider putting your hand in your pocket and spending a £100 on a better router. Like you said the HH3 should be fine for the masses though.

Just did another download speed test and the Netgear wdnr3400 has made a major improvement and is working fine, 2 gig in 7-8 mins. Not rebooted it at all and its been running all weekend with no issues.

No complaints about inifinty here!

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 9

I've been using my own router since install i April. Not one drop in connection in all that time.

0 Ratings
hiltonsteve
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Just one other thing regarding bt infinity speed over a wireless network....

On my PC i have a linksys WUSB600N USB adapter which is a dual band one, not a standard N and this is giving me full download speeds at 40meg when using my dual band wdnr3400 netgear router.

Called in at Best Buy today and picked up a netgear WNA3100 N300 USB network adapter for my son, told the guy i wanted a N600 but he said that the N300 one would be fine, well he was wrong... Plugged it in and not even getting half the download speed as with my linksys adapter.

Will be taking it back tomorrow to exchange it for the WNDA3100-100GES N600 version like I asked for in the first place, only £39.99 which I thought was a good price.

If you need the speed then it looks like true dual band (N600) USB adapter and router is the way to go....

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 9

An N300 should be good for up to about 120Mbps.

This one certainly will, I have one myself. A lot cheaper than £40 don't you think. There are many others up there too at the smae price or thereabouts. I'm not bothered about the Virgin Logo on it.

0 Ratings
hiltonsteve
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

£4 !!!! Unbelievable..... What a great find.

Shame that I have just bought a WNDA3100 from Best Buy for £40!!

Just had a quick hunt round on the net to see if you can get windows 7 64 bit drivers and it looks like you can, someone has done a direct comparison between the WNDA3100 and the Virgin badged WNDA3200 and came up with the following -

Netgear WNDA 3100:

2g - 80% very good signal strength- 104 mbps speed

5g - 65% good signal strength - 120 mbps

Best figure achieved out of 3 Netgear/Virgin WNDA 3200's

2g - 64% good signal strength 82 mbps

5g - 43% fair signal strength 52 mbps

It seems that all that glitters is not gold....! Link here - WNDA3100-WNDA3200 comparison

But at £4 its worth buying a couple as they should be fine for the kids.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 9

Snap!
Exactly same problem, so purchased a Netgear N600 and have had 100% solid internet and WiFi ever since. BT HH3 just isn't reliable, is down to luck if you get one that works out of the box \o/
0 Ratings
TimNorton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Steve

quick question with regard to step c)

c) Running the smart setup wizard on the netgear router interface which detected that it was a PPOE connection and set the relevant settings in the router, it asked for a username which I used 'bthomehub@btinternet.com'. Saved the settings and then rebooted the modem then the router.

Did you put in @btinternet.com or @btbroadband.com?

Anybody know if it makes a difference ? 

0 Ratings