Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hotrod30
Message 1 of 5

BT Infinity – Newbie installation questions

Go to solution

Hi Guys,

I’m getting Infinity Option 1 fitted on 3rd Feb and there are a couple of important questions I need firm answers to to avoid disappointment.

1. My main telephone socket is in a small tiled kitchen with no electric points nearby, so it is not at all suitable for the two hubs/routers to be installed there. I have my computer, etc hard-wired into my ADSL Belkin modem router in my study on the first floor via a BT socket. So can my extension socket in my study be enabled to be my Master socket instead?

2. I’ve read the horror stories about people, on this forum, who have upgraded from their standard broadband Option 1 (10Gb download) to 40Gb Infinity and have had massive spikes of download activity even when there router is switched off. I carefully keep within the current 10Gb limit, however with the advent of a new iPad and various pc laptops thought it prudent to go for the extra 30Gb allowance. What worries me is that I also use the computer for various online banking duties so need a 100% safe environment. My Mac (Tiger OSX, not iCloud enabled) is hard-wired and I use a Norton Firewall. Do I need to be concerned, should I cancel Infinity and go for standard Option 2 (40Gb) and keep all my current kit and set-up?

Any help and advice would be appreciated, especially from BT staff, as your answers will sway what I do next?

Thanks very much,

Steve Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
West
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Infinity – Newbie installation questions

Go to solution

I am not an expert but like you regularly read the comments here so here is my humble opinion

Question 1: Yes you can ask the engineer to change the sockets around although they may charge for this.

Question2 : I have not heard of this and have certainly not experienced it. The unlimited package is only £7 a month more which about 23p a day and would give you all the confidence you need.

You will get a new HH3 and Openreach modem to replace Belkin box but your firewall you can leave in place.

A lot of people do not like the HH3 for various reasosn but I have never had any difficulties with it

Hope this helps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
there is no charge for moving sockets it will make no difference to any security installed on your pc
hotrod30
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you West, Much valued feedback. Steve Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
hotrod30
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
thanks John46, good advive... Steve
0 Ratings