Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew2468
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Infinity Option 2 - Network Management During Peak Times

Go to solution

I had been led to believe on BT Infinity Option 2, you could download as much as you like and not be restricted until you hit the 300GB barrier in a month.  Trouble is, the Network Management Policy says otherwise.

From BT Fair Usage Policy under Network Management

BT continuously monitors network performance and reduces the speed available to very heavy users (typically less than 1 per cent of all customers) during a given month to ensure that the service received by other customers is not impacted through extremely heavy usage by a minority of people.

Customers who are classified as very heavy users will experience significantly reduced speed at peak times (typically 5pm-midnight every day but these times may change depending on the demand on the network) for a period of 30 days, or for as long as very heavy use continues. This applies to customers on all Options.

BT Infinity Option 2 allow unlimited downloads and uploads within the monthly rental price, so customers on these products will not be charged for over-use. However, this does not preclude BT from reducing your speed if you are a heavy user in order to protect the experience for the rest of our customers.

BT give the impression they will restrict you, even if you spend a few days downloading heavily by the way they word their terms and there is no mention of the 300GB barrier.

So do they not throttle you until you reach this so called 300GB barrier or could they do it on much less as it gives from the impression of the terms?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
deltron
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Infinity Option 2 - Network Management During Peak Times

Go to solution
It does seem a bit vague but I guess by heavy user they mean above 300gb? The most I have used in a month was around 250gb and received no warnings/slowdowns.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
JamesEllis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

It's funny I should come on here as Ive not even used 100gb since my connection was re-connected after a massive **bleep**-up from BT when they disconnected my line for no apparent reason.... Still waiting for an answer on that one... I wont hold my breath...

tried to download a file last night and thought it was a bit slow.... ran the speed test and Im currently getting 1.85Mb/s downstream and 2.15Mb/s upstream... 40Mb/s my Ar*e This is abysmal after all the problems Ive been having wondering if Im being capped....

I was on Infinity Option 2 before I was disconnected... Im wondering if they put me on option 1 when I was re-connected. .... Muppets... wouldnt suprise me... I was trying to find the section on the router that tells me what speed its sync'ing at but struggling a bit... re-booted router but still rubbish speeds

0 Ratings
deltron
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
I'm afraid there is no way with infinity to currently view your line stats via the home hub,all you can get is your ip profile from the bt speedtester.
0 Ratings
JamesEllis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

this is what I got from the BT Speed tester:

38717 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

> Download speedachieved during the test was - 8256 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-38717 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 7811 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

0 Ratings
JamesEllis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

If my max achievable speed it 38717 kbps and the IP profile is the same, then surely i should be getting that and NOT a poxy 8256kbps downstream.... GRRR

Its rubbish... not worked properly since November and BT have had 2 goes at installing it as you can see from my other post.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Infinity-was-great-until-openreach-un-jumpered-my-fibre-for-no...

WTH is going on?.... 

0 Ratings
JamesEllis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Hi James,

Sounds like a spanner in the works.  I'll be happy to have a look over your connection and see whats what.

Could you drop me in an email please with your BT account and telephone number along with a link back to this thread.

Just send to the email address in my profile and mark FAO Craig please.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Andrew2468
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Guys can you please start your own post instead of hijacking mine.  I thought I had a lot of replies to read, only to find someone has hijacked my post for their issue which is not connected with my question.

My question still needs to be answered.  If anyone knows the answer I would be very grateful.

0 Ratings
Brokk
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

As I understand it, the words you've quoted give BT the freedom to throttle heavy users whenever they need to, using their own definition of "heavy". The definition is presently stated as 300GB/month, but this isn't built into the contract. It might change in the future, but in the recent past the trend has been for it to go up, not down. (A few months ago it was 100GB/month). That's all that can be stated for certain I think.

0 Ratings