cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

BT Infinity Performance issues

Is anyone in the Woking/Chobham area suffering performance issues with BT infinity 2?

I've been an infinity customer for a few years and have seen a collapse in performance in the last couple of weeks.

When it was first installed in 2013 I'd see speeds up to 48mbps but after a while that went down and stabilised at between 28-32mbps.

I'm currently seeing max speeds of below 10mbps, frequently as low as 2-3mbps. I've spoken to BT and had 2 engineers round, both of whom say the line is fine. I've also done a quiet line test and there was no noticeable background noise. I have a smart hub (not exactly a brilliant product) and a netgear D7800 modem/router - both perform exactly the same.

There is only one phone socket in the house (no extensions)

When I speak to BT all that happens is the push me through the same old routine of

test you speed

reset your smarthub

and nothing has worked. 

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Infinity Performance issues

Welcome to this user forum.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Performance does tend to drop off as more users are connected to the cabinet, this is due to crosstalk.

Is it just download speed that is dropping, or is it the connection speed?

Please post the information from the smart hub, using this link.

http://192.168.1.254/0000012803/gui/#/technicalLog/information

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER Telephone Number xxxxxxxx on Exchange CHOBHAM is served by Cabinet 2 Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability Left in Jumper High Low High Low VDSL Range A (Clean) 43.5 32.4 7.7 5.9 -- Available -- -- -- -- VDSL Range B (Impacted) 32.4 16 7.2 3.1 -- Available -- -- -- -- Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC FTTP Availability Date FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- -- -- -- ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date Left in Jumper WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 13 -- 7.5 to 17.5 Available -- -- -- -- WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 13 Up to 1 7.5 to 17.5 Available -- -- -- -- ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available -- -- -- -- WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- -- Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- -- Other Offerings Availability Date VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- -- ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

The problem is with both upload and download speed. It never goes above 10mbps download now and is often much slower - upload can be as low as 0.5mbps

BT now claim there is a problem with the smarthub and are going to send out a new one. I doubt it will make any difference as the netgear hub i have also exhibits the same performance issues.

its almost like a cap has been put on my performance

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 5 of 16

We would need the stats from the hub as requested by @Keith_Beddoe before we could advise further.

Could you also run a speed test HERE, once the first test completes click on Furter Diagnostics and post a screen of that result.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

Here is the information from the Smarthub

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ63070306

Firmware version:

SG4B10002244

Firmware updated:

27-Dec-2016

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 8 Minutes 15 Seconds

Data rate:

2.70 kbps / 10.00 kbps

Maximum data rate:

7625 / 36221

Noise margin:

16.8 / 25.1

Line attenuation:

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

9 MB Uploaded / 54 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-PFQH

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 6)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-PFQH

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Band steering:

Off

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

40:C7:29:27:3D:D1

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

this is what I got when I tried to run the performance test

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: 

Download Speed : 8.92 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: 

Upload Speed : 2.47 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

just ran it gain and got the following

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 4.93 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:

Upload Speed : 1.08 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

I've tried to run the bt wholesale test lots of times now and cant get any further diagnostic information

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

There's a lot of noise on your line. Noise margin should be about 6 I think.
Some more knowledgeable members will be able to help more than me though.
0 Ratings