cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 11 of 37

Re: BT Infinity Self Install

For a migration, you already have had the benefit of an engineer-install.

I'm talking about a self-install that is not a migration - the engineer will fit a new SSFP in the desired location and even a data extension socket to ensure the Infinity master socket is the first socket on the line thus avoiding bridge-taps.

With a self-install you are not allowed to do this and so will end up with a sub-standard install, unless your existing wiring is perfect.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 37

@legitimise_sailing wrote:
With a self-install you are not allowed to do this and so will end up with a sub-standard install, unless your existing wiring is perfect.

You can fit your own ssfp and data extension kit if you wanted to.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 13 of 37

How would you get one, from the ISP?
--
0 Ratings
Davarry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 37

It's not convenient to me, the customer, to have to set aside half a day (or more) so that an engineer can spend five minutes in my home with a screwdriver. There are no extensions involved in my case. Those without their own screwdriver, or with more complex arrangements, can still have the engineer option if they want.

I find it strange that they announce a roll out on a specific date and then ... nothing.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 15 of 37

Openreach announced it is available from the beginning of the year, if the ISP's want to sell it. It's up to the ISP's now. In the same way that FTTPoD is available.
--
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 37

Theres loads of faceplate filters on ebay. Then all you need is a decent length of twisted pair cable either terminated onto a socket or crimped with a rj11 plug for direct connection.

0 Ratings
Rockintone
Contributor
Message 17 of 37

Well I bit the bullet and upgraded to BT infinity yesterday. I asked about self install however the customer service agent had no knowledge of this and said that he had been on a course a few days before about new products etc and that this wasn't mentioned

I tried for discount as my existing contract was at an end but absolutely no joy, I only got caller display for free despite being on the phone for 50 mins while he tried all sorts of options for me. When I eventually signed up I was given an engineer install date that suited me. However an our after my call I got a text from BT apologizing but that the date I was given has been changed :manmad: This has really hacked me off as I got him to confirm twice the original engineer install date and now the date I have is no use, so I will have to take a day of work which was what I was trying to avoid - self install would have avoided this.

I could also mention the complete the nonsense info I was given about my monthly bill but I'll leave that for another day as no doubt that will raise its head in due course. Oh and I wanted to cancel my existing BT vision subscription but was told I would have to phone back Billing as the system couldn't cope with that!

Apologies for the rant.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 37

If your engineer appointment doesn't suit, try changing it to a date that will suit you.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact#h=eyJzdGVwMCI6ImNvbnRhY3RJdGVtTGluazU2MTciLCJzdGVwSWR4IjoxLCJzdG...

Davarry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 37

"I will have to take a day of work which was what I wastrying to avoid"

I'm not prepared to do that under any circumstances. Reminds me of the attitude of the GPO back in the bad old days.

If I buy a TV, I make arrangements for the aerial and if it doesn't perform, that's down to me. I don't expect Currys or John Lewis to insist on installing the **bleep** thing with the TV.

I'm holding out for a while. In the meantime, unrelated, I see that Infinity 3 has appeared on the BT website.

0 Ratings
Davarry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 37

And the word automatically bleeped out was simply a civil engineering structure designed to create a reservoir by blocking a river, nothing worse.
0 Ratings