How will you install the fibre?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Davarry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 37

Re: BT Infinity Self Install

There must be some misunderstanding, or is this question for someone else?

No fibre in the house with FTTC.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 23 of 37

You mentioned Infinity 3
--
0 Ratings
Davarry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 37

Misunderstanding - I should have made it clear I was mentioning Infinity 3 only in passing. They've announced it on their website but say nothing on self install for the lesser packages. Don't think it's going to happen in the near future.

0 Ratings
Bat-n-Ball
Contributor
Message 25 of 37

If all the engineer does within the property is fix a filtered master socket on, then surely an old socket with plugged-in filters would do the same job?

I'm confused as to why self-install is taking so long to be rolled out.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 37

@Bat-n-Ball wrote:

If all the engineer does within the property is fix a filtered master socket on, then surely an old socket with plugged-in filters would do the same job?

I'm confused as to why self-install is taking so long to be rolled out.

Depends on the current wiring of the property it being installed into and the location where the customer wants the kit to go. If every line had one socket then it would have been self install from the get go. 

0 Ratings
Bat-n-Ball
Contributor
Message 27 of 37

But if the customer just wants to install the equipment where their existing equipment is and the sales team can positively identify the customer has just one socket...

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 28 of 37

You would have to ask bt why they arent offering it yet.

0 Ratings
Davarry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 37

Still confused.

It was pointed out in another thread ("No access to my master socket - can I still get Infinity?") that self install is available for Infinity 1 only. Sure enough, the "Getting ready for BT Infinity" web page confirms this with the condition "Engineer installation may be required to help optimise your speed. We'll let you know when you're placing your order if this applies to you".

I tried to order an upgrade from my present Unlimited Broadband over the BT webpage. I came to a halt when it said, in direct contradiction with the page mentioned above, that I must be available when the engineer calls. Relectantly, I phoned BT. The lady did her best to be helpful and proceeded to input the order through "a different system". Half an hour later I was told that the installation would require an engineer visit. I had to repeat that I cannot be available for an engineer visit.

My present, regular broadband package gives me 18.28Mbps down, is entirely stable, and I don't use extension wiring at all. I have a regular NTE5. I've been building my own computers for years so installing a faceplate is neither here nor there.

Had enough.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 30 of 37

You don't get to install a faceplate, the Homehub5 is supplied with dangly filters.
--