cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Davarry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 37

Re: BT Infinity Self Install

Didn't know that. So the need for a BT engineer to call is even less.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 37

0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 33 of 37

If you're getting the faster 80/20mb, or the tv package then an engineer visit is required. Because it means openreach can iron out any problems with the line, for instance if you're house is fed overhead then your dropwire may need replacing if it's old and knackered.

If Openreach can resolve all issues in one visit then it's ideal, it makes life more convenient for you as the End User, and for them as it saves on resources having to go out again.
0 Ratings
Davarry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 37

I was only applying for the Infinity 1 package (38/9.5), based on the "Getting Ready" page which makes it clear that self install is only available for Infinity 1.

The cable is underground, has never given any problems, and the distance between the grey external box and my NTE5 is about 18 inches. I can't see Openreach digging up my drive to "optimise my speed", as their web page says. No extension wiring involved.

On reflection, I'm not sure that the person I spoke to was aware of self-install as she had to put me on hold for about 15 minutes to check. Then I had to repeat that I could not be available for an engineer to call.

The point I'm making is that, as the customer, I'd like some choice and I, not BT, will decide what is convenient for me. If I have to pay for Openreach to come back to resolve issues, I'm prepared to do that because I don't think it will arise. My decision.

From: http://www.exbtengineers.com/bt-infinity-self-install/ "Once the end user has taken the skin off their knees, trying every permeatation [sic] to get their woring [sic] to work correctly, they will be forced to ring their service provider, and report this as a FAULT.  Openreach Engineers will be sent out to rectify problem-  at cost to that customer or end user."

BT are supposed to have trialled self install. If it doesn't work for me, when does it work?

0 Ratings
Davarry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 37

I meant to add that neighbours don't have problems either.
0 Ratings
Bat-n-Ball
Contributor
Message 36 of 37

My shift patterns and call-out's mean I cannot stay in for an engineer.

I've tried several times to order online for BT Infinity 1 self-install but always get a page that attempts to book an home engineer visit, at which point I cancel the order.

I have had regular ADSL broadband from BT for around 10 years now (Headingley exchange) and never had any faults with the line.

According to the BT Sales dept., who have tried 'forcing' this order through on 'a different system',
they tell me that it should be possible as my existing throughput exceeds the required minimum for a self-install. However, they come across the same engineer appointment page on their computers.

Order cancelled again...

0 Ratings
Bat-n-Ball
Contributor
Message 37 of 37

Quick update:

Tried ordering Infinity Option 1 (Unlimited) again this morning and all went through okay for 'self install' with no engineer visit required 🙂

Self-install has finally arrived. Yay!

0 Ratings