cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

BT Infinity Speed lower than predicted

Just moved home and after a a week or so the Download speed on my BT Infinity 2 package is lower than that indicated by the availability checker for my line. I get approx. 52 to 53Mbps compared to the advertised Clean rate of 78 to 59 Mbps. The upload is solid at 18 Mbps

Attached are: BT Broadband Availability Checker, Line Stats from my SamKnows monitoring dashboard and sync data for ym TP Link Archer VR900 VDSL modem.

My line speed is consistently close to the Downstream Handback Threshold of 52.5 Mbps 

Is it worth my while asking BT to get Openreach to check my line or should I just be grateful for what I have?

Cheers

johnScreen Shot 2017-08-20 at 19.04.00.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-20 at 19.02.38.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-20 at 18.44.58.png

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT Infinity Speed lower than predicted

Hi kickmaleerie

There's no harm in asking, but I think it looks pretty reasonable. I don't know the exact definition of Clean Rate, but it may be idealized in some ways that differ from reality.

The modem has synced with an upload speed of 57Mbps according to the UI. The measured amount will be less because not all of the bandwidth is used for data, e.g. some is used for TCP or UDP packets headers, and IP headers, and so on. It's a bit like shipping goods on a train, the train occupies space, so do the couplings between wagons, and this takes up some of the space on the train.

We get 80Mbps from FTTP here, but half the home network is on 50Mbs due to limits of HomePlug that we use internally. No one in the house is even aware there is a difference in different parts of the house.

Cheers

P.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 21

Is your modem connected to the master socket, or an extension?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Connected to the Master Socket which is the 5C Mark 4 and was fitted by the OpenReach subcontractor when they activated Infinity on the line on the 7th August.

Modem is a TP-Link VR900 which I have had on x2 previous BT Infinity connections and is rock solid. 

The line has settled at a consistent 53Mbps but I was expecting more like 60+ Mbps based on the BT Wholesale Line Checker results.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

Do you have an extensions?

If not, you need an engineer visit.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 6 of 21

There are extensions aroud the property but there is nothing connected to any of them. Don'y use a handset on the line due to nuisance call sdespiet being registered with TPS.

Looks like I will have to plug the olf HH6 in and go through the usual tech support hurdles to get an Openreach engineer visit.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Doesn't matter if there is anything connected or not, its the wiring that can cause problems. Try connecting to the test socket behind the faceplate of the master socket to disconnect your extension wiring.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Remove the faceplate as mentioned above and connect to the test socket.

Repost the modem stats when in the test socket.

Internal wiring can acts as an antenna inducing noise into the circuit.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

Plug in a phone and dial 17070 and see if there is any audible noise on the line when connected to the test socket.
0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Extensions disconnected from the master Socket.

Gone through all the hurdles with tech support with a reset HH6 with thel atest firmware on the line. Speed remains resolutely stuck at the Downstream Handback Threshold. At least I now have an Open Fault record active.

Faults in the UK booked an OpenReach engineer out this morning to investigate further for the 5th September. Then this evening I get a call from Mumbai to say that there was a fault at the excahnge and this has been rectified. I will go back to Faults tomorrow and insist that the engineer visit is honoured.

From my SamKnows monitoring logs nothing has changed and in fact I dropped a further 3Mbps Downstream form 10am this morning. Some fix!

If nothing improves I may exercise my right to handback as per the BT Wholesale FTTC Handbook and cancel the contract with BT and go to another UK based ISP who's name I will not mention but who have very competent and knowledgable UK based tech support that are easily reached.

That or see what I can get from the BT Retentions Team in Truro in the way of reduced pricing. Not paying for BT Ifinifty 2  76Mbps service when only in the last 10th percentile.

Or I could move to a B4RN serviced area in the northwest and get FTTP 1Gbps symmetrical for £30 a month: they even offer 10Gbps!!

I am on overhead copper - looks like new poles and lines - but I must be a fair way from my FTTC Cabinet so there is no way that BT Wholesale can provide the advertised rate for my line of 60Mbps and up.

You know, BT has created a dead end for itself and the UK rolling out all this FTTC should have done FTTH/FTTP as the House of Lords Committee suggested several years back. Even Peter Cochrane the ex-Head of BT Research acknowledges that FTTC is the wrong solution.

See here for a very illuminating report of his explanation of how BT and the Thatcher Governent created this mess and how we could all be enjoying FTTH if BT had followed up on their plans. 

http://www.techradar.com/news/world-of-tech/how-the-uk-lost-the-broadband-race-in-1990-1224784

0 Ratings