cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

BT Infinity Speed

Hi I was wondering if someone can help me, we have BT infinity broadband installed on Monday 16th December, all that wee it was fine min speed was around 20Mb going upto 70Mb, I know the speed for the first 2 weeks does change.

But since Friday evening around 7pm our internet speed has been below 1Mb most of the time even below Half Mb, this of course is very hard to work with if at all.

I phoned BT and they have said the speed from the exchange to the house is fine and that is must be my laptop, my argument there was, it isnt just my laptop that is slow, we have 3 laptops in our house all on diff operating systems and I have ran the speed test on all of them and they all come back the same. Also the TV which is connected to the internet works but again very slow and my daughters PS3 and Xbox360 wont work online at all.

Everything from Mon until friday night was great and we were very happy with the internet speed. 

We have a HH5 and the Infinity 2 package.

Can anyone help me with why it has suddenly done this, as BT just said I can ring there experts but its a chargable survice Ihave been a customer with BT for less then a week so dont think I should be charged for them to sort it out.

Could it be the HH5 which is the problem, I have connected all the laptops direct to the router aswell and the speed is just the same, and was advised to re start the router which I have done and this made no diff at all.

Thank you for any advice

Angela

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Infinity Speed

Hi Just wanted to reply so that you don't think you're being ignored.

EDIT Have you noticed this post https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-infinity-2-speed-drop/td-p/1118086 with a similar problem since Friday?

Unfortunately it is hard to offer a solution to the problem as so many different peices of equipment are experiencing the slow speed or not connecting at all.

You are correct about a training period which could mean your speed may vary over a 10 day period but you should at least get a usable speed during this period.

As you have said that ALL (Laptops, TV, PS3 and Xbox360)  worked great up till Friday.

Fault finding would then be to look for any changes since then. If you can't think of anything.....

As a start I'd try using one laptop with a wired connection to the HH5 and work on trying to get that up to near the IP speed your exchange has set you on. (IP is your Internet Profile).

I am not sure as I have the older HH3 which uses a seperate modem.... but you have the new "HH5 one box" you might be able to connect the HH5 directly into the TEST SOCKET which is located behind the master socket face plate.-

Picture here = http://www.exbtengineers.com/line-fault-broadband-speed-test/

Hopefully someone may help in another reply to confirm if this is possible or not.

If you can use this test socket for your HH5 then that isolates any of your internal wiring connections thus eliminating the possability that it's something inside your house.

So if you can use the TEST SOCKET and a "wired direct to your HH5" laptop is still getting 1 Mbps, or worse speeds, "well below the minimum acceptable speed mentioned in the test", then I would contact BT telling them your wired and "using Test Socket" so that BT are not able to blame your side.

Use this speed tester = http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and ensure you are using a wired connection to get a reference speed reading.

After the test results are displayed you can then click the "Further Diagnostics" and entering your phone number.

When the "Further Diagnostics" completes it's test you will get your download and upload IP settings.

These IP settings are the max speed the Dynamic Line Monitoring equipment at the exchange has put you on to provide a reliable speed.

During the training period they could change, so it's worth noting them so you can see what is going on and you can add the info to any further postings.

Hope this helps you gather info.

Example of my  IP for 76Mbps Infinity service is below.

Additional Information:

IP Profile for your line is - 46.83 Mbps

You are on an approx 10 day training period.... best not turn the HomeHub off in case it gives the exchange a false "fault" indication which reduces your IP Internet Profile.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

I have the same problem and what I have noticed is that it seem only new users are affecting. I signed up to BT infinity on 30th november and I am having the excalty same problem as you.

You can see other new people are having problems as well

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-infinity-2-speed-drop/td-p/1118086

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Infinity-only-6Mbps/td-p/1117716

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Connection-Speed-Sudden-Drop-Gloucester/td-...

seems to be a issues with new users regardless of which area they are in

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

I've had the same problem for the past week or so, yet I've been a BT Infinity customer for over 6 months.

I've done a little research myself after several members of the BT support team gave different reasons that the error is happening (one even suggested that I suffer a poor wireless signal... on a wired connection). 

The only common theme I've noticed on the forums is the timeframe. I know that some christmas lights (which would  in with the time frame of the slowdown) can affect ADSL, but I am not sure of how this will affect Infinity connections. Unfortunately, due to having so many direct neighbors, it is not possible for me to have them shut off all lights to test if this is the case. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Just run another speed test and the speed is now goin up 24Mb

The only thing I have done was pay my bill? it said Ihad till december 27th to Pay and I was going to pay tomorrow but decided to pay it now and as soon as I paid it the speed went up...could it be linked....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

didn't last long, back to 0.11Mb

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 15

Is this wireless? If so, try it wired to find out if it's just because of your wireless.

You Homehub 5 should say what speeds it's connecting at in Troubleshooting, Helpdesk.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

No it was a wired connection, when i noticed the speed going up, I connected the laptop to the router and it was at 50Mb for about 40 mins I would say then went again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

speed test just came back at 1Mb I am wondering if thats right though as the internet now seems very quick, and when I have had 1Mb (with old provider) it was nothing like this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 10 of 15

What speed test? As it's wired you need to find out your IP profile
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings