cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
pauldavies1980
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Infinity - Upgrade from 40/10 to 80/20 - My Experience of this upgrade

I thought I would make a post related to how I found the 'upgrade' which I have now received to my BT Broadband Infinity Package after all the trials and troubles I had when I first got my Infinity installed over 6 months ago.

Anyway, I've had a stable 38/8.5mbs connection since I ironed out my problems and has been superb ever since, this is I expect the top whack I would ever get out of this package taking out network packet overheads and the length of copper between the house & cabinet so have been very happy with the service.

Over the last week I have had tso disconnects ( ok, out of hours when im pottering about ) where the blue DSL light goes orange on your HH3 which to be fair has only lasted a few minutes each time.... I was curious as I had seen openreach vans at the cabinet so decided to explore what it could be - this is where I found out about the 80/20 upgrade πŸ™‚

So, I ordered the 'free' upgrade on Friday afternoon with an ETA to be completed today (23/4/12) which as advised this has happened and has been upgraded. I did find however that initially it went to 40/20 so I reset the modems and now has gone to 70/20. Of course i'm going to be in my 10 day training period for stability but am getting a very reasonable throughput of 64/18 which I am more than happy with.

I don't think it will speed-up my every day surfing as your are only as fast as the host you are connecting to which ultimatly could leave you with a  very slow website or download portal but is a blessing for my work VPN as I am getting the full whack!...

Over the 10 days i will update on any good/bad experiences drop outs etc but would say if you already have infinity then its worth the upgrade! 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Sageman
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Infinity - Upgrade from 40/10 to 80/20 - My Experience of this upgrade

Here is my experience so far. Originally I was getting 37 and 6 on a wireless setup. Upgraded on the 19 April. I am now getting 45 and 7.7. The check on my line said I could expect 55 and 9.

I have committed to a further 18 month contract for very little speed increase at all.

0 Ratings
pauldavies1980
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Ok... so tommorow will be a week since I had Infinity 2 activated and am pretty happy with the results so far... Ok at times it's been up and down like a yo-yo which I expected as I am still in my 10-day training period so pretty much expected that.

What I have found interesting is that I can't seem to find many websites which actually benefit from running at these high speeds at the moment, to list a couple which I have only found download at the full rate are apple.com/itunes & Nvidia drivers - even microsoft, sourceforge.com and many other website which have download files only seem to get no more on a download that 4.5mb/s. I can confirm this also at work ( no names mentioned, but work for a global network system provider and have the back-bone of the internet at my disposal which is 10gb/s piped down to 200 mb with a contention ratio of the rest of the officeo which I get pretty much the same.. πŸ™‚ )

I have detailed a speedtest.net graph below which I started tracking when I first had infinity installed, yes.... it ran at 91mb/s on the 40/10 package during my training period which I rubbed my hands together and smiled but soon stopped running that fast.

Another week of training and will update my final speeds and throughput im getting - but overall at the minute im impressed!

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
xanxion
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

What speed do you get with wired?, wireless barely ever tops out the maximum speed.
0 Ratings
pauldavies1980
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I'm pretty much old school...prefer everything to be wired which is what all my tests were taken from. I use my Mac Air and iPad2 and do speed tests on wireless with the Mac reporting around 8-10Mb/s lower than I actually get and the iPad2 is very inconsistent - varies from 4mb/s to 15mb/s and not much more even in the same room as the HH3

0 Ratings
Highlighted
xanxion
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

@pauldavies1980 wrote:

I'm pretty much old school...prefer everything to be wired which is what all my tests were taken from. I use my Mac Air and iPad2 and do speed tests on wireless with the Mac reporting around 8-10Mb/s lower than I actually get and the iPad2 is very inconsistent - varies from 4mb/s to 15mb/s and not much more even in the same room as the HH3

Sorry the question was meant for Sageman, i should have been more clear.

However your response does highlight what i was trying to get across to him in that he is judging his upgraded speed based on wireless alone, when wireless is hopeless at high speed.

On another note however, if you want to make the most of your connection I would advise investigating into things such as Usenet for downloading files, I use it to download MMO installers and such since using the torrent-powered ones they provide are obviously nerfed.

Additionally if you attempt to download multiple files from different sites at the same time you'll also see the benefit.

0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 7 of 9

@xanxion wrote:

On another note however, if you want to make the most of your connection I would advise investigating into things such as Usenet for downloading files, I use it to download MMO installers and such since using the torrent-powered ones they provide are obviously nerfed.

Additionally if you attempt to download multiple files from different sites at the same time you'll also see the benefit.

I agree about the use of Usenet downloading, if you are signed up to a fast News provider (not all are the same). I can download from mine at 70Mbps at any time of day. In practice, this means that I can get a complete DVD of programs, data or media material in less than 8 minutes. If I want it "now" I can have it "now". And I can if I wish upload it again in half an hour, which is astonishing - data storage and backup into the cloud becomes a practical possibility at last.  πŸ™‚

I would add that these fast speeds will be of most benefit to families who have mum dad and more than one child online all at the same time.

0 Ratings
pauldavies1980
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Right.... 10 days have passed for my settling in period and have found that 10 days I have had a pretty stable connection at 62/18 - although i'm no more than 100 yards from the street cabinet and less that a mile away from the main exchance i was expecting the full whack, anyhow I was advertised 61/18 so have been more than happy and though that was it....

Since..... the 10 days expired on Friday my connection has been the worst it has been since I got infinity 1 installed.... i get now when lucky a max throughput of 18/4 which is wired connection, modems have been power cycled just in case and still getting the same, downloads are coming in really choppy one minutes a file is downloading next minute it's downloading at 50k!....... I've tried various websites which offer stable downloads like nvidia.com and sourceforge to rule out network congestion still the same..

I'm going to give another couple of days just incase people in my area are bored and all surfing ( which I hightly doubt ) and then raise a ticket for the saga of BT Customer services.... great!!!! ;-(

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 9

A lot of people have had issues with the homehub, so i would possibly ask for a replacement, other than that yea get an engineer out or something, see if you can get a fault raised!
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings