cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

BT Infinity Wireless

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post so hopefully I don't do anything wrong.

I've had BT Infinity option 1 for about 5 weeks now and have had some speed problems which I thought were made a bit better after an engineer visited but not so.

My download speed is 19mbps when using an ethernet cable which is OK (upload is sadly only 1mbps but I don't really upload much to be honest).

The problem is wireless which I use on my phone and a PS3 and Wii U.

If I change the wireless channel in the router my wireless speed is virtually as fast as through ethernet (using speedtest.net) with a ping of about 20 to 30 but after about 2 days the wireless gradually drops to 3mbps to 5 mbps with a ping of roughly 200mbps.

I've tried every channel and they always start off really fast but gradually drop to 3 to 5.

I was told I would be getting the brand new router which would be slim enough to fit through my letterbox, which actually came in a big box which didn't fit and had to collect from the sorting office (I didn't realize the Home Hub 4 was the new one at the time). I actually received the HH3 version A which after reading up on I have found gives people a lot of trouble, so recently I asked BT for a version B.

They reluctantly agreed and said they'd send one but after just having received it, it is another version A.

I haven't bothered opening it as I can't see it being any different.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance

Gaz 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Infinity Wireless

Have you tried either of the new routers to rule out a problem with your existing one?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

The first thing I would do is a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear. This can sort out many wireless problems.

I would also suggest that you use inSSider to find the least congested wireless channel and set the home hub to that.

See link for inSSider

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

There have been many reports of poor wireless on the Homehub 4 so you it might not be too bad getting a homehub 3. Make sure you leave it on 24/7 so that it can do any firmware updates that are needed.

Do not switch off the Openreach modem it should be left on 24/7

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 5

Thank you both for you replies.

I only have one new router (type A), my wording probably gave the wrong impression.

I haven't tried resetting the router yet, will give it a go.

How does this solve wireless problems, won't it go back to how it was though?

I have inSSider already (downloade the Android app) and channel 1 seems to be the strongest with the least interference but the slowdown still happens on that channel too.

Thanks again

Gaz

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

A reset restores any configuration issues. Yes it will go back to using smart wireless so after it has completed the reset scan using inSSider then set the channel.

0 Ratings