Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cherkhan
Expert
Message 11 of 77

Re: BT Infinity & Broadband Talk

What you cannot do is add 'anytime' to the service at the special rate if you already have this attached to your landline.....as I found out................... which is a shame because it was only to cost £3 per month:(
0 Ratings
alanchown
Contributor
Message 12 of 77

I have absolutely no doubt that your BBtalk works fine, i know of many who have the same experience. But when I ordered my Infinity service it was made clear at the time of order that the service was no longer available with Infinity. As I said i queried it and received written confirmation that my BBTalk service had been ceased, which I quoted. My understanding is that there was a cut off date at which new orders of Infinity no longer supported BBTalk, the implication being that those who already had Infinity and BBTalk kept it.

I have had BBTalk for years and in fact it worked for about an hour before I was cut off.

Alan

0 Ratings
nafem
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 77

An update that may help you.

I got a link and a password for my BBT from a forum moderator and went to:

http://www.bt.com/bbt

If you already have a password, you are home free, otherwise you will have to try and get hold of it.

It then took me to the configuration page where I clicked the configuration link but I got an error page not found. The link started: http://api.home/voipsetup.api?...

I looked at the help and it suggested to go to: http://bthomehub.home

That didn't work either but I know that the .home domain is my local HomeHub box so that fact it is not being resolved to my box anymore must be a 'feature' of BT Infinity. So I changed the the domain part of the URL to the IP address of my HomeHub, which is by default 192.168.1.254 (http://192.168.1.254/voipsetup.api?...) and it worked!

I now have BBT working correctly with my new Infinity HomeHub. 

I hope this helps so others trying to achieve the same.

N.

0 Ratings
cherkhan
Expert
Message 14 of 77

May I again direct you to the main Bt website and look at the packages available....which very clearly shows BtTalk IS available with Infinity and most certainly does work fine. There was maybe still is a rule where you have to use the service in a certain time frame or lose your number.

Who so ever told you BTTalk was not available with infinity mosr certainly gave you erroneous information.

0 Ratings
alanchown
Contributor
Message 15 of 77

The information came from the BT Talk helpdesk at broadbandtalk@bt.com. I have it in writing that my account has been ceased. So it's not erroneous information-it's actually happened, rightly or wrongly. But the e-mail below from the BRoadband Talk people states:-

"I am sorry but the new BT Infinity does not support broadband talk. When your order was taken for the new Infinity service your broadband talk was automatically removed. I apologise if you were not informed of this at that time. Unfortunately there are no updates as to if or when the broadband talk service will be updated to allow it to work along side BT Infinity"

It definately was not ceased due to lack of use- it was used regularly.

Have you a link for the Infinty site showing BBTalk as an option, I can't see the mention of BBTalk on the Infinity pages- not doubting you for a second, just can't see it- if it's there I want my BBTalk back!.

Alan

0 Ratings
Sputnik_2
Message 16 of 77

Good News!

I got my new BT Infinity box today and tried to set up my BBTalk phone by registering and clicking the "Activate" link.  I logged in to the BBTalk website OK with my number and password but the configure button failed as appears to be the case with many users so I looked at the command line that had failed.

"api.home" is the problem.  That does not seem to work with the Infinity box.  I copied the line and substituted "api.home" with 192.168.1.254 in the string and it worked!

Hope this is the solution for all users?!

Bill

0 Ratings
cherkhan
Expert
Message 17 of 77

Hi Alan

Think that is my mistake there. I took it that the offer for all calls was through VOIP. I also made contact with Bt over this offer and was more or less told the same. However reading it again, it  could well simply be the added free call option to the landline. Sorry for any confusion. I would just sign up again.

0 Ratings
Sputnik_2
Message 18 of 77

Nafem

See Below.

I tried the same trick independently and it worked. It appears the Infinity hub does not support "api.home".

Bill
0 Ratings
alanchown
Contributor
Message 19 of 77

That doesn't work for me- i cannot log into the BBTalk website- although as I said before it did work for a short while- in fact when I got my infinity Hub, I could and did activate my BBTalk, only for it to dissapear the following day.

0 Ratings
mikerdwyer
Message 20 of 77

I was planning to upgrade to Infinity about a month ago and was initially advised that Talk would walk but when I checked again with someone on the Infinity team just before commtiting to the uograde, he assured me that Talk was no longer supported via Infinity. 

He told me it was initially supported but that this was then withdrawn when they encountered "problems" with the Talk service via Infinity. He could not elaborate or advise when/if Talk would be supported again. As a result I did not upgrade.

At the very least, BT is not making sure all it people & sites are telling the same story, assuming BT themselves actually know  themselves what the message is.

0 Ratings