cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
George66
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BT Infinity & Main Socket

Hi people has anyone had BT Infinity installed?

I've just been reading the information about getting BT Infinity installed, and it says you need a double power point near the main telephone socket, else an extension lead to be available.

Is this just during installation for test equipment, or is it meant to be a permanent arrangement?

My main socket is in my hall and a permanent extension lead would be dangerous.

George

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
champ1970
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Infinity & Main Socket

Hi George,

with Infinity you get a modem and a new hub, both of witch need to be to be plugged into to the mains, the other thing with Infinity is that these need to be connected to the main socket ( nte5 )... now if your exsisting broadband is connected to an extension via a filter ( which is how a lot of people have ) then there our 2 options, if possible we can re-route your incoming cable to make the extn a master and convert old socket to an extn, or we have to run a new cable from exsisting master to where your computer is now... hope this helps

0 Ratings
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

George,

BT will install Infinity upto 30m away from the master socket with a data extension kit.

0 Ratings
George66
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

What does a data extension kit consist of?

George

0 Ratings
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

From BT's FAQ.

"

The BT Infinity Data Extension Kit is a special cable up to 30 metres long and roughly the diameter of a pencil. It provides a wired connection between your telephone master socket and your BT Infinity Hub (via your Openreach modem) to give you the best broadband speeds possible.

Unlike a standard broadband Hub, we can’t plug the BT Infinity Hub into a phone extension socket: it needs to connect directly to your phone master socket. This is because standard home phone wiring (between sockets) can’t carry the higher data speeds of BT Infinity. Your old Hub might be plugged into a phone extension socket, perhaps in a work area upstairs. But if you want to put your new Hub in the same place, you’ll now need the extension kit to connect it to the master socket downstairs.

You won’t need the extension kit cabling if you’re happy for your new BT Infinity Hub to sit with your Openreach modem, next to your master phone socket. The engineer will talk to you about the options when they arrive, but it’s a good idea to think beforehand how you want to connect your new equipment, and where you want to position it."

Tags (1)
George66
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Thanks all,

It's not available yet at my exchange, but it helps to be prepared.

George

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

I wish the people who designed the hub and box would of thought about this when they put flood lights for bulbs all over the **bleep** thing. I have this in my bedroom, I hate it. Trying to cover causes it to over heat. Another case of style over substances

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

What version hub have you got?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

I always use this sort of thing http://www.screwfix.com/p/insulating-tape-black-19mm-x-33m/68918 without overheating.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
soapy
Expert
Message 10 of 10

you can ask the engineer to fit a data extention kit to a place where you want the modem and router that has 2 power points, be aware that if you get a data extention kit a phone will not work on it, only the modem and router will work, i got one fitted to up stairs and it works great and keeps the modem and router out of the hall using an extention cable to power them

0 Ratings